• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
davey205

Creaking Something Front Wheels ?

davey205

Noticeable when going slowly eg in carparks just started creaking seems to be coming from the passenger side, what do i need to ask to get repaired ?

welshpug

depends what's creaking!!

you need to investigate that before saying fix it please, or get someone to find it for you.

davey205

booked it in friday my 205 bloke will have a look

ALEX

Sure it's not coming from the rear? the rear suspension creaks when thats shot.

If not it could be the antiroll bar bushes.

Mine craked eversince I powdercoated the antiroll bar, new rubber on plastic coating makes a craking sound, silicone gel cured it for a few years but it recently come back.

Pugnut

if it does it while stationary and turning the wheels it will be the topmount thrust bearings.

craigmi16
if it does it while stationary and turning the wheels it will be the topmount thrust bearings.

ye i would agree with that same thing happend to m8ts goodwood

davey205
ye i would agree with that same thing happend to m8ts goodwood

Yes it does do it when stationary , is it a big job? Is it ok to drive till Friday?

It sounds like im at the wheel of an old sailing boat :P

Edited by davey205

Pugnut
Yes it does do it when stationary , is it a big job? Is it ok to drive till Friday?

It sounds like im at the wheel of an old sailing boat :P

not a big job and it should be fine till friday, but don't just assume it the top mounts. Inspect the full suspension before removing the complete strut. Strut held in vice, spring clamps on and take the struts to bits. Bread and butter for any mechanic. might be a good idea to go and soak the three top mount bolts/nuts right now and give them time to be penetrated.

these bolts have a terrible habit of snapping clean off with very little effort.

davey205

ok, these bolts to penetrate are they the strut tops that poke out through the engine bay?

Pugnut

yes, they are nyloc so penetrating fluid won't do that much, but they will need all the help they can get!

mr_exe

Had something similar turned out to be a seized ball in the anti roll bar drop link.

richsmells

Also check the drop links aren't creaking (worn joints). I pretty much changed everything and still couldn't work it out, then grabbed hold of a droplink whilst turning a hub and could feel the vibration coming from one of the joints.

Pugnut
Had something similar turned out to be a seized ball in the anti roll bar drop link.

Also check the drop links aren't creaking (worn joints). I pretty much changed everything and still couldn't work it out, then grabbed hold of a droplink whilst turning a hub and could feel the vibration coming from one of the joints.

good call !

davey205

My 80s Peugeot man expert wasn't there today (gone to Centreparks) so his assistant had a look, couldn't see where the creak was coming from and it wouldn't even creak when we went for a test drive (he sprayed some lube on it) now it just does it slightly but not a lot at all compared to before.

Anyway im taking it back on Friday so Graham can weave his magic wand.......

Also mentioned about the flickering lights but they couldn't really tell, i think it has to be dark to appreciate it as its only a slight flicker, I'm hoping its not the alternator...... anyway time will tell

Edited by davey205

steve74
My 80s Peugeot man expert wasn't there today (gone to Centreparks) so his assistant had a look, couldn't see where the creak was coming from and it wouldn't even creak when we went for a test drive (he sprayed some lube on it) now it just does it slightly but not a lot at all compared to before.

Anyway im taking it back on Friday so Graham can weave his magic wand.......

Also mentioned about the flickering lights but they couldn't really tell, i think it has to be dark to appreciate it as its only a slight flicker, I'm hoping its not the alternator...... anyway time will tell

Have you got your head unit wired to power your amp?

If so that can make it flicker.

Hope that helps. :huh: