• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
205BigTosh

205 Gti Brake Upgrade

205BigTosh

hello all. i currently have a 205gti 2.0 litre 16v in miami blue, full leather, full stainless exhaust . its a 1.6 car, im after a front brake upgrade possibly the 306 calipers and discs.

im not to sure though which ones to buy or which ones fit and which ones to avoid, the car has been off the road 4 years now and im currently tidying her up.

could anyone please tell me what is the best ones to get.im not looking for thee best but really a decent replacement. will probably be hunting around the local yards first.

ive heard a rumour that people are fitting HDI calipers and discs but from which car? would the 206 gti brakes fit on the 205 aswell?

many thanks martin

Wes

there is not a lot of upgrades for the 1.6 brakes due to the offset of the hubs. you will need 1.9 hubs and shafts if you want to run gti6, hdi or 206 brakes.

205BigTosh
there is not a lot of upgrades for the 1.6 brakes due to the offset of the hubs. you will need 1.9 hubs and shafts if you want to run gti6, hdi or 206 brakes.

dam thats not the news i was looking for :mellow:

the car might have 1.9 hubs on it , is there anyway of telling them apart.?

why would they change the 1.9 hubs from the 1.6?

Pugnut
dam thats not the news i was looking for :mellow:

why would they change the 1.9 hubs from the 1.6?

the 1.9 has thicker diveshafts and bigger nuts. measure the diameter of the shaft stubs or the size of the nut.

pug_ham

Generally the 1.6 GTI hubs on a UK 205 don't have this notch in the drive flange, they are smooth with no cut outs (unless you have the PTS group A negative camber front hubs that is).

Usually (although not all the time) the 1.9 GTI driveshaft nuts have a locking plate & spring clip / split pin through the end of the driveshaft but the best indication is the hubnut size. 30mm is 1.6 GTI (or base model) & 35/36mm is 1.9 GTI.

Graham.

Grim.Badger

Surely the easiest way of checking if the car has 1.6 hubs is by checking the brake disc offset? Chances are that if it still has 1.6 hubs, then it also has 1.6 brakes, and the offset on those discs is huuuge.

Also, diesel hubs will fit onto the 1.6 shafts to give the same offset as the 1.9 (but I'm not sure about the durability of these hubs compared to the 1.9).

I've got GTi6 brakes and 406 MC on my 1.9, and I have to admit that given the choice I would go back to 1.9 brakes. Even with the 406 MC, the wheels lock up too quickly for my liking; the braking feels much less progressive if you understand me.

craig_007

Hi Mate,

I've got GTI 6 Brakes on my car at the moment,I'm going to be removing them for something else,If your interested in them drop me a PM.

Craig

kyepan

go for the lightest best setup you can.

Granted the bendix calipers are not the best, but they are very light, and increasing unsprung weight will have a noticable and pronounced effect upon your acceleration in low gears, suspension performance over bumps, traction out of corners, axle tramp etc etc.

Having been in the same situation as you with 1.6 hubs ,i went for 1.9 hubs, driveshafts, 307hdi / 206gti180 283mm setup... It stops beautifully, but the car has lost it's light chuckable feel.

Braided hoses, and high temperature fluid, with some mintex m1144 will do you for fast road work.

To get anything that is of a similar weight but better, you would need billet alloy calipers and alloy bells, something like a "highspec" setup.

AP do a kit for the 205 that use both, but then your talking about at least a grand.

J

205BigTosh

Thanks for all your input who have posted. i will check the car in the next couple of days as it is at my dads, in the garage.

probably the best option is to go for the 1.9 hubs and driveshafts. i have just painted both sides of the car as well, hubs,wishbones,driveshafts,strut,spring and stabalizer rod bars.

hhmm........a last resort would maybe see me buy new 1.6 calipers (the car isnt intended for fast road use anymore just a toy to drive about on the nice summer nights) so its an option im just worried about the stopping power with it having the 2.0 litre . when it had the old s16 engine in it, i didnt notice to much how bad the brakes were when i was using the car, it wasnt great and it wasnt bad either

but i really wont to upgrade it....

thanks again guys.

Batfink

brake pad size does not really affect stopping power until its heat capacity is overloaded. Sometimes you can get away with standard if the rest of the car is up to the job. Try ducting in cold air to cool everything and look at your suspension to stop weight transfer forward.

shalmaneser

I've got some nearly new (barely 1000 miles) front 1.6 calis if you want.

mr_exe

I kept in simple with some Tar-ox Sport Japan discs and Mintex Pads.

davidc
I kept in simple with some Tar-ox Sport Japan discs and Mintex Pads.

Me too.....

I had the same dilemma & eventually, after a lot of reading........we went for standard 1.9 GTi refurbished calipers, Goodridge hoses & Mintex 1144 pads along with a decent fluid....hopefully these'll work fine & be fine & light at the same time.

Cheers,

David