• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
ChrisG

Wishbone Size Variation?

ChrisG

I recently changed the nearside wishbone on my car after it failed an MOT, and after I'd done it the steering wheel had go e a way out of line. When the car was retested I had it booked in for a 4 wheel alignment but the work couldn't be carried out as the chap said the nearside side wheel was 19mm further back in the arch than the offside, and said the wishbones appeared different.

Is there a variation in wishbones between manufacturers? The steering was fine before I swapped it, and I've ordered one for the offside to replace that too.

Just trying to work out why there'd be such a difference after swapping what I thought'd be a standard size part!

Chris :lol:

welshpug

sounds like a bent subframe.

ChrisG

But why would it've all have been fine before I swapped the wishbone over???

AndyJ

Could be that you had knackered bushings, and now you only have knackered bushings on one side?

DamirGTI

I believe so yes :P i've a TRW wishbone on the RH side and Delphi on the LH , both where for 205 GTi but this the TRW one pushed the wheel out as if it's a 309 wishbone :P as can be seen by looking at the position/angle of the cup on the strut top ..

On the other hand the Delphi one was shorter for some odd 5mm's than the OE one as said by the guy at wheel alignment workshop (the steering wheel was out of center quite a bit when i fitted this Delphi wishbone) ..

Damir :ph34r:

ChrisG

I've got the offside wishbone to fit now, just need to get home before its dark now :P