• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest robyp25

Bilstein Dampers Upside Down

Guest robyp25

the dampers on my 205 appear to be up side down. says top with an arrow... this points down. :) Looking at the dampers, the gaiter could fill up with mud etc. if they were the other way up, any ideas guys? will post a pic after tea....

welshpug

always wondered about that but they can;t fit the other way round :)

rallysteve

Are these the yellow rear ones? If so mine are the same, they only fit upside down because of the bush sizes. They also have the plastic covers on that show up as down :) Glad to know they can be fitted that way without trouble.

Steve

205Rallee

My MOT man wanted to fail my car last week because of this! "The arrow points to the top and the Bilstein writing is upside down". I offered to take one off there and then and try and refit it the other way around. Two of their MOT testers didn't really believe me and said it was a fail but passed it anyway...

Guest robyp25

cool wasn't sure if there was a reason for it, just seemed wrong (there is alot of unusual things i'm finding) . but haven't tried them the other way... cheers

pug_ham
haven't tried them the other way... cheers

Save yourself the time, they won't fit the other way round because the upper & lower bolts are different sizes.

Graham.

Batfink

Its probably a generic cover they use. Most dampers are the other way round. The thicker mono tube shaft is stronger so its no doubt able to cope

johnsimister

A gas-filled monotube damper, such as some Bilsteins, is able to function either way up so some installations have it mounted upside down, compared with conventional dampers, to reduce unsprung weight. A Lotus Elise series 2 is an example of a production car with upside-down Bilsteins.

John

Guest robyp25

thanks guys, i've stripped down my rear beam today, and its buggered. it looks like i may need a new cross member, i see they are quite pricey anyone know if you can get a reconditioned one? or if mine may be salvageable? one side looks okay, other doesn't...