• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
MerlinGTI

Im Building My Beam In The Front Room!

jord294

really hard to explain in writing, and i aint got pics either sorry.

did you remove both end caps when overhauling?

MerlinGTI

Both came off, and the plates arnt from that ARB orginally either.

MerlinGTI

Im a numpty but Jord294 has kindly put me stright over the phone. Top chap :huh:

When I sort it out tomorrow I will post up what went wrong for the benifit of other 'drivers. This is only an Issue when both ARB endplates have come off though ^_^

Thanks again everyone :)

SurGie

A good thread this, very useful.

Do you have pictures of your grease nipples and were they easy enough to fit ?

Cheers

pug_ham

Removing both arb end plates can be a really long winded job on a rebuild because, like the torsion bars, they have a different number of splines (& different sizes) so the best way I find to do it if you have removed both ends is to fit on loosely, fit it into the beam & bolt it up & on the other side line the splines up & see if its inline with the radius arm bolt hole without using any force.

If not, take the other end back off & move it one spline at a time until it does.

Graham.

welshpug

the fixed (left hand) end of the ARB (if original Peugeot manufacture, aftermarket ones don't seem to bother, which makes fitting rather more laborious) should have a notch in the end, which you align with the M8 hole in the end plate, that ensures that you can get the other end lined up due to the differing number of splines on each end of the bars, once this is done the opposing end plate will go straight on as long as the torsion bars are correctly installed.

very easy and no need to faff turning the bar spline by spline till they go in, amusingly it is documented in the Haynes manual :lol:

the clearance to the seal you set with the 0.05mm feeler blade as mentioned, very easy to do, place feeler gauge in the gap, and push the trailing arm against it, adjust M8 stud at opposite end of the torsion bar till it just touches and lock off with the nut.

the 0.05mm clearance is from the body of the seal to the CUP not the flexible lips of the seal.

Edited by welshpug

MerlinGTI

what he said :lol:

Its all sorted now :lol:

Thanks again everyone

pug_ham
the fixed (left hand) end of the ARB (if original Peugeot manufacture, aftermarket ones don't seem to bother, which makes fitting rather more laborious) should have a notch in the end, which you align with the M8 hole in the end plate, that ensures that you can get the other end lined up due to the differing number of splines on each end of the bars, once this is done the opposing end plate will go straight on as long as the torsion bars are correctly installed.

The original 205 arb has a faint scribed line iirc but the ones from a ZX or 306 have a proper notch in them which makes it nice & easy to align them.

The one I had fun with was an aftermarket arb from Chris (309pug) when I fitted it to my car.

Graham.

TT205
The one I had fun with was an aftermarket arb from Chris (309pug)

As most Arb's and TB's are now aftermarket this is particularly poignant!