• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
pacmannewry

Rear Wheel Bearings

pacmannewry

Hi folks,

I have a 1990 1.6 GTi and need to replace one of the rear wheel bearings. I popped into my local autoparts store and came home with a single unit kit but my mechanic insists that the bearings on the car are a two bearing kit. I went back to the store and they insist that it is a single kit and that mine must've split inside the hub.

My mechanic showed me what came off the car and it definitely looks to be two separate bearings. Can anyone shed any light?

Thanks

Paddy

welshpug

Its a single bearing unit that has two rows of bearings inside, typical of a massive number of vehicles out there, is he really a mechanic? :D

Edited by welshpug

pacmannewry
Its a single bearing unit that has two rows of bearings inside, typical of a massive number of vehicles out there, is he really a mechanic? :ph34r:

To be fair mate - he's in his mid-70's and I now suspect he's losing the plot. But he's my father-in-law so I can't say too much.

Thanks for the answer - now I have to convince the old codger that he's wrong (but as I'm not a mechanic, then typically my opinion doesn't count :D )

Cheers. :lol:

Edited by pacmannewry

welshpug

doh :D

here's a picture;

#3 is the bearing

2C37C01A.gif

and another;

suspension_e36_m3_e46_m3_rear_wheel_bearing_33411090505_1.jpg

notice the two inner bearing races and single outer casing

mhyphenl

on discs its a two part bearing but I guess there could be two options that both fit!

welshpug

On the discs its a single unit and the outer race is part of the wheel flange not separate.

large
On the discs its a single unit and the outer race is part of the wheel flange not separate.

I once tried to press the outer race out of a wheel flange. the only problem was the smallest press I could get my hands on was 100 tonnes. ;) . It did not come out, the flange bent but it did not come out. Dho!