• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Daviewonder

Shortening 306 Rear Arb As A 205 Upgrade

Daviewonder

Hello All

I've recently bought a Gti6 rear anti roll bar after reading in a thread that its a cheap and easy upgrade, I went to see my friendly local welder to ask about him shortening it and welding one side to the end plate like I read in the mentioned thread. Unfortunately he said it wont work as it will snap off due to the metals being dissimilar, he even went to the trouble of welding 2 dissimilar metals to show me how easy they snap apart. Does anyone have anymore info on this as im now stuck with a gti6 arb and im not sure what to do?

swordfish210

Tell him to man up and weld it. Yes there is a chance it will snap like any weld but i've not heard of one snapping if it has a decent weld on it.

Baz

I have, quite a few actually. Especially the ones done by a well known now defunct three letter company.

The main problem is the difference in sizes so difficult to get decent penetration on the ARB itself, but it is possible it seems.

All Praise The GTI

anyone know how much to cut off a gti6 arb to make it fitt a 309 gti beam if welding one end?

or is there anywhere that will cut and respline for reasonable money?

205turbo

it will cost 40 quid if you want it splining up to suit a 205/309 beam pm if intrested

All Praise The GTI

sounds like a bargain pm on its way! :wub:

Tom Fenton

It can be welded successfully if done properly with attention to heat input. I've devised a method of doing them now which works (well, I've tested it for 4000 miles in 309 length and 3000 miles in 205 length).

oli-pug

I run a shortened and welded gti6 bar on mine at the moment, touch wood i've had no problems even after a good amount of track abuse.

Once the arb was cut down, the end plate was a proper snug fit on the end being welded anyway. Mine needed the splines filing down a bit, before I set it to position measuring against the opposite end plate then whacked the plate on square. I put a good bit of weld on where the plate meets the bar then filed it smooth for it to move freely inside the beam tube then plugged up in the hole.

Alastairh

For 205 length, you could source a 106 GTI anti roll bar which is 24mm and close to bolt on.

Al