• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Rich_p

Coilover Spring Choice For Low Track Car.

Rich_p

Right I need springs for the coilovers on my 309. It’s currently very low and running 25mm t/b’s and will have a 28mm arb too.

I have a choice of 350lb 6” springs and 400lb 7” Length wise with it being so low will I be able to get away with 6” springs or will they be too small and not allow for any increase in ride height if I need it?

(I will be running helper springs too if needed)

Cameron

You will definitely need helper springs, unless you have some short travel shocks. That seems like an incredibly stiff rear end set-up there though!

What's important is to make sure that you have enough front suspension travel before you hit the bump stops, so have a look under the car when it's on it's wheels and see how much travel you have, if you can see.

What shocks are you using?

Rich_p

I’m using avo coilovers that have had the shims adjusted to allow me to run the stiffer springs.

The rear will be getting raised a little when I have the time but I just want to get it usable at the moment.

welshpug

why does it have to be low?

Rich_p

Because that's how the back has ended up and I don't have the skill of facilities to adjust the rear myself at the moment. As mentioned earlier it will be raised slightly again but I just want to get it usable.

allanallen

Bit o/t sorry rich, but how do you find the 25mm bars? Looking to get a set of larger bars for my 309 but not sure what size to go for. Al

boombang
Because that's how the back has ended up and I don't have the skill of facilities to adjust the rear myself at the moment. As mentioned earlier it will be raised slightly again but I just want to get it usable.

I might be able to come and do it for you one weekend mate.

Even better if you can get here though. It currently driveable?

Rich_p

That would be handy cheers Al.

It needs doing the dummy shock way & even that's a pain as the bars are too big to slide through the arms!

It's not taxed or insured at the moment unfortunately.

I've not driven with them properly yet. Only a short journey in soaking wet conditions & on standardish front suspension and crap tyres. It was interesting!

Rich_p

So do you all think 6" will work or will I have to wind up the coilovers to much to get any sort of ride height?

boombang

6" sounds very low mate, be interested to check what angle suspension components are sat at with that short a spring when fully wet with driver + passenger.

I'd certainly be checking if there is enough travel in the shocks as Cam said - could be you're nearing the stops on compression. Perhaps an 8" spring would work better for you, and give that bit more adjustability.

I'm pretty busy most weekends in forseeable, but if I get a free one I might be able to get over and raise the beam. All being well should only be an hour or so to do (famous last words)

Rich_p

I think I'll go for the 7" 400lbs one then and see what its like, I'm getting them very cheap so won't be the end of the world if they dont work.