• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
SurGie

Strut Top Strengthening Plates.

SurGie

Hi,

I need the 4mm ones for road use as the 6mm ones are too thick for road use.Iv tried ABmotorsport and they can get me this size but it will be ten weeks till i can get them, so is there anywhere else i can get them in 4mm size ?

Im not sure if i can get the 6mm ones and get them polished down to 4mm or not ?

Cheers.

Edited by SurGie

Baz

A good engineering firm will be able to machine the 6mm ones down to 4mm.

I don't see why it's an issue though, just run the 6mm ones?

welshpug

can't imagine what makes them too thick for road use?

4mm being too thin for forest use I can see, but not the other way round tbh!

SurGie

I read a few times on here that 6mm can be too harsh for road use. I want strength without the ride quality being too harsh for road driving.

Ok great il get them polished down.

Cheers.

Baz

It'd take ages to 'polish' them down.

And i really can't see them making a difference to ride quality or comfort! :)

SurGie

Sorry i meant machine them down.

I cant find them threads that talk about this issue.

Jrod

4mm to 6mm will make no difference in feel. The strut tops are not designed to absorb bumps, thats the job of the shocks!

SurGie

So all iv read is pub talk then ?

The only reason in me wanting the thinner plates in the first place is because some respected members have talked about this in the past few months, i just cant find the threads :). The chassis does have minimum amount of flex in it unless you fully seam weld the car, this is also why iv thought about using 4mm plates.

brumster

I'm happy to be proven wrong, but I can't see why you could have strut tops that are TOO strong (ie. thick)? I accept maybe 4mm ones would suffice, but if it's a 10 week wait and the 6mm ones are available the next day, I'd just stick with the 6mm ones? Sure you might be carrying around a few grams extra weight that you don't need, but....?

omega
I'm happy to be proven wrong, but I can't see why you could have strut tops that are TOO strong (ie. thick)? I accept maybe 4mm ones would suffice, but if it's a 10 week wait and the 6mm ones are available the next day, I'd just stick with the 6mm ones? Sure you might be carrying around a few grams extra weight that you don't need, but....?

i dont know but it could be that if you use the 6mm you might have clearance issues if you use a strut brace

Paul_13

You do confuse me sometimes SurGie B), I can see where your coming from though.

I'd rather stick with the 6mm jobbies as the bodywork around that area is pretty thin. Egay sell these aswell as I found out the other day.

Cameron

Sounds like pub talk to me, strut strengthening plates won't suddenly make your car uncomfortably harsh, there's bags more chassis flex coming from other areas! B)

But, if you really have to have 4mm ones I could get some laser cut for you. Might save you a bit of money over buying 6mm ones then paying someone to machine 2mm off.

Baz
i dont know but it could be that if you use the 6mm you might have clearance issues if you use a strut brace

Don't use one then. Next to the plates it'll be doing next to sweet FA anyway.