• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
shalmaneser

Bloody Brake Lines

shalmaneser

This is a bit of a long shot but does anyone have any top tips for how to part brake unions? the solid line on the rear swingarm will not come out of the flexi. I've tried heating it up but I don't want to go too mad and damage the flexi...

Is it just a case of lots and lots of plusgas and some decent mole grips?

any other suggestions gratefully received!

Also, I just fitted some BBM engine mounts and although I haven't been able to take it for a drive (see above!), the drivers side engine mount had literally crumbled to pieces. That can't be good so I'd advise people check the condition of their mountings if they're still on the original ones.

Cheers,

Adam.

welshpug

brake pipe spanner?

or curved jaw mole grips, failing that its chop it off and make a new pipe time.

penetrating stuff I've never found to be particularly effective on brake threads due to the fine pitch used.

shalmaneser
brake pipe spanner?

or curved jaw mole grips, failing that its chop it off and make a new pipe time.

penetrating stuff I've never found to be particularly effective on brake threads due to the fine pitch used.

The solid brake pipe is going to be replaced anyway, I've got a copper one here waiting to go on. The issue is getting the remains of it out of the flexi so I can actually string it all back together!

I hate doing brake lines, this always bloody happens.

Paul_13

Mole grips/pipe grips/stilsons?

Put a 17mm spanner on the flexi union and heave ho! Should come undone, normally works

Edited by Paul_13

Miles

Chop the old copper pipe and then use a normal ring spanner on it, Open ended or brake spanners only do so much before they round off, Mind some you do need to destroy to remove

peakrevs
The solid brake pipe is going to be replaced anyway, I've got a copper one here waiting to go on. The issue is getting the remains of it out of the flexi so I can actually string it all back together!

I hate doing brake lines, this always bloody happens.

If I understand correctly, you can't unscrew the union from the flexible. If you cut the solid pipe you should be able to remove the flexible from the caliper. With the union held in the vice it should be possible to unscrew the flexible.

John

shalmaneser
If I understand correctly, you can't unscrew the union from the flexible. If you cut the solid pipe you should be able to remove the flexible from the caliper. With the union held in the vice it should be possible to unscrew the flexible.

John

You're about right but the flexi is the one that goes from the chassis to the swingarm (this is at the rear remember), so i can't put it in a vice.

I'm going to have to buy some molegrips I reckon.

MerlinGTI

Put a spray nozzle on a can of butane, hold upside down and freeze the seized parts and try to undo. Works sometimes, espicially when done in cycles of gently heating then freezing. Chances are its already fubar though.

welshpug

just been in my mates workshop changing the load compensator on my mums 405, on 3 unions the snapon brake pipe spanner was trying to slip, so out with the mole grips to crack the unions off, then unwind with the spanner.

job jobbed :)

Veero

I've always found tightening a brake union ever ever so slightly first THEN loosening has always got them undone, and proper brake spanners are a must.

shalmaneser

I was attacking it with some molegrips earlier today but the bastard thing won't funking move!

luckily i was able to get it out with minimal damage from the other end, so I've ordered a new flexi pipe and I'll just wack that in.

This is far too much effort just to replace some brake lines lol!