• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
mattmalden

Rear Window Demister

mattmalden

Hi,

Has anyone got any suggestions on how to fix the wires back onto the electrical track on the rear window? I've got two wires hanging in thin air and don't know how best to proceed!?

2-Pugs

Hi Matt

I have the same problem on my daily drive Xsara VTR. I tried soldering it back on with a chunky soldering iron but to no avail. I am not sure how to sort it, I wondered about some of that copper tape you can get, and try and stick it back on somehow?

pugdamo

I put a thread up about this the other day because I have the same problem in my 309,you can buy something on ebay called tab adhesive,its a conductive glue for sticking the wires back to heated screens,i was thinking of getting some but wondered if anyone here had used it.may be worth a go,i think its about £12.

Cheers

Ren

I've never used the adhesive but it sounds like it's worth a go. I've soldered the terminals back on at work before but it's not easy, especially with the tailgate on the car. The way we do it is to lay the glass on a trestle, drip plenty of solder on to the area needed, lay the terminal on top and the heat the lot up with the soldering iron. You need a second person doing this though to keep spraying the underside of the glass with water to keep it cool otherwise it will go pop. Obviously if it's on the car gravity is your enemy so I think you'll struggle.

Ren

mattmalden

It seems I'm not alone in this dilema...

Halfords (and ebay) sell a metal paint - its supposed to be used for repairing any damaged tracks to restore continuty to the circuit, I toyed with that idea but gave up without trying - seems too weak.

Also I found some conductive epoxy putty - that could be strong but is it conductive enough? Again I have doubts and don't want to blow what may be only one chance.

Ren's idea is what I thought to be the solution - but gravity will not be on our side - so off it must come. Also Ren's proved that it works so come the summer that how I'll do it.

The final option I can see is to visit the scrap yard...Oh and then also as Rob 2-pugs suggest you could always tape it on - I don't think copper tape would be ideal as the adhesive may / may not conduct but the copper face will - could give the kids a jolt if they go prying with wet fingers! Perhaps insulation tape though Rob? You'd have to cut off the original connector - or make some wires with the spade on one end to use as a 'plug and play' type interface.

pugdamo
It seems I'm not alone in this dilema...

Halfords (and ebay) sell a metal paint - its supposed to be used for repairing any damaged tracks to restore continuty to the circuit, I toyed with that idea but gave up without trying - seems too weak.

Also I found some conductive epoxy putty - that could be strong but is it conductive enough? Again I have doubts and don't want to blow what may be only one chance.

Ren's idea is what I thought to be the solution - but gravity will not be on our side - so off it must come. Also Ren's proved that it works so come the summer that how I'll do it.

The final option I can see is to visit the scrap yard...Oh and then also as Rob 2-pugs suggest you could always tape it on - I don't think copper tape would be ideal as the adhesive may / may not conduct but the copper face will - could give the kids a jolt if they go prying with wet fingers! Perhaps insulation tape though Rob? You'd have to cut off the original connector - or make some wires with the spade on one end to use as a 'plug and play' type interface.

Did you find that adhesive on ebay i said about?Its not the paint you said about as that is just for repairing damaged bars (like you said).

Where did you find that putty? I might have a look at that aswell,but i think i will probably end up going for the adhesive though

Ren

Well, bit of a coincidence but I used the conductive adhesive for the first time today and it worked very well. Made by a company called Kent, see here http://www.kenteurope.com/uk/industrial/adhesives.php and I think it was the one on that site labelled Adhesion Plus. Probably worth giving them a ring first though as it doesn't mention being conductive on there.

Ren