• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
RHULPUG

Re-fitting Passenger Door

RHULPUG

I've replaced the passenger door on my 205 for a better condition one, but I'm having trouble fitting it properly.

The 4 bolts all seem straight forward, however the problem is that the hinged end of the door will not close without touching the wing.

How have other people gone about this? Have you used spacing nuts in between the hinge and door?

Advice appreciated!

welshpug

how does it sit in the door aperture?

is the gap at the rear too big?

panel gap at the a-pillar good?

Edited by welshpug

RHULPUG
how does it sit in the door aperture?

is the gap at the rear too big?

panel gap at the a-pillar good?

The door fits fine, in terms of lining it up against the shell as if it were already attached, but the issue arises when bolting it on.

The front section of the door (nearest the hinge), doesn't clear the inside of the wing when closing.

I'm just wondering if I ought to be using extra washers/spacers in between the hinge and door?

welshpug

doubt it, the only ones I can remember sit inside the door skin not outside.

has the wing been off or damaged at all?

RHULPUG

I refitted the wing after giving it a respray, so may need to take that off again.

welshpug

riiight!

yep, start by fitting the door then the wing <_<

RHULPUG

Right, been out this evening trying to fit the door again and still having problems.

The problem is that the holes of the bolts to go through are 2 fairly big squares, so it seems to be a bit like trial and error.

I've taken the passenger side wing off as well now.

When fitting to the hinges, even with the bolts in fairly loose, the door can be lifted or moved outwards/inwards until tightened.

The gap at the moment near the rear is now too big and the top corner of the door near the rear is too close to the body. The gap looks like it's widening at the base of the door from the hinge end to the rear.

Not the easiest job, fitting it on your own, whilst trying to hold the door level, tighten up the bolts and also aligning it.

Any advice?...aside from giving up!

RHULPUG

Anyone?

Anthony

With both the door and wing off, it's going to be tough to get it all aligned properly.

I've swapped doors over before, and what I normally do is bolt the door to the hinges but only lightly nip up all the bolts. Shut the door and then push, pull and shove the door as required until it seems to sit properly with reasonably equal panel gaps all around. Climb into the car from the otherside, and with the door still closed and in the right position, tighten the bolts fully.

Problem is that the wing-door panel gap is probably the most difficult to get right even when one of the two panels hasn't been removed and is thus in the right place (or atleast placed so that it was correctly aligned with the now removed panel), so with both removed, it's going to be a bit longwinded I suspect.... unless there's a nack that I haven't yet worked out?

Probably best fitting the door first and aligning that as best you can with the rest of the door apature, and then fit the wing and try to align that.

RHULPUG

Thanks Anthony, will give it a go using your suggestions!