• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
andyjstone

Steering Rack

andyjstone

I'm looking to get a quick rack and I've been told that square drive was fitted on late 1991 cars onwards, so I am assuming that as mine is a 1990 it has spline. Can anyone confirm from the pic below if this is spline or do I need to drop it off to check?

steeringrack.jpg

jimistdt

I'm sat here with the splined u/j in my hand, and I have to say it looks a little different to yours Andy. to the left in the picture, mine is smooth and radiused, whereas yours isn't. !?

welshpug

that looks like a square pinion to me, it has the metal clip on it that keeps the UJ on the pinion even if the bolt comes loose.

woo83

I'd say that's the square drive although could be wrong, mines a square drive and thats also a 90.

andyjstone

Do I have to take the rack out to double check, I'm sure Quaiffe would change it if I bought the wrong one, but I would rather get it right to start with?

welshpug

turn the wheel 90 to the right and take another picture ;)

andyjstone
turn the wheel 90 to the right and take another picture ;)

That's not so easy now - I took that pic while fitting a 309 ARB this afternoon, but now it's back in the garage - what would I be looking for 90 to the right then??

welshpug

ahhh no worries, if you had taken a picture with the pinion/column turned 90 to the right from its pictured position you'd have seen the gap in the clamp, in that gap you can see if its a square or splined pinion.

from the picture above I'd say it was square though.

andyjstone
ahhh no worries, if you had taken a picture with the pinion/column turned 90 to the right from its pictured position you'd have seen the gap in the clamp, in that gap you can see if its a square or splined pinion.

from the picture above I'd say it was square though.

OK, I'll jack it up in the week and take another look before ordering ;)

harryskid

It would pay you to because i made that mistake when i ordered mine from Quaiffe. They changed it for me but it cost an extra tenner.

Harryskid :mellow::D

Baz
I'm looking to get a quick rack and I've been told that square drive was fitted on late 1991 cars onwards, so

Other way around IMO!

swordfish210

I don't know, mine is a 1992 and it's a square drive.

jimistdt

Mines a '94 and splined.

Baz

Yep, does seem to be totally random sometimes tbh, but the majority of later cars are splined in my experience, especially those with PAS.

swordfish210
Yep, does seem to be totally random sometimes tbh,

Good old Peugeot, parts bin specials :mellow:

petert

All the PAS racks I've seen are splined, and that's every 205 from 7/90 onwards in Oz.

Paul_13

Looks like a square Andy, it's got the 'barbed' clip thing at the bottom of clamp. This is the same on the square one I had.

Just be warned about trying to find a bearing that will fit, I'm not sure if Quaife have started to sell one yet for a square drive.

My mate ryan had a Square type rack and bought a Splined quick rack and we managed to find a bearing to fit, I believe Ryan still has one spare if you need one.

Splined rack with splined quickrack (make sense?) is the easiest IMO to rebuild. If you need a hand mate i've built up three.

Alan M can get hold of bearings.

EDIT: I've found a PAS square drive in the past :wacko: Kyepan's got the linkage for his Xsara rack

Edited by Paul_13

andyjstone
Looks like a square Andy, it's got the 'barbed' clip thing at the bottom of clamp. This is the same on the square one I had.

Just be warned about trying to find a bearing that will fit, I'm not sure if Quaife have started to sell one yet for a square drive.

My mate ryan had a Square type rack and bought a Splined quick rack and we managed to find a bearing to fit, I believe Ryan still has one spare if you need one.

Splined rack with splined quickrack (make sense?) is the easiest IMO to rebuild. If you need a hand mate i've built up three.

Alan M can get hold of bearings.

EDIT: I've found a PAS square drive in the past :wacko: Kyepan's got the linkage for his Xsara rack

But if I buy the complete Quaife square drive quick rack surely I don't need anything else, just bolt it on, or am I missing an important step??

Paul_13
But if I buy the complete Quaife square drive quick rack surely I don't need anything else, just bolt it on, or am I missing an important step??

BEARING!

It's for the pinion mate, quaife don't supply these....

andyjstone
BEARING!

It's for the pinion mate, quaife don't supply these....

Yes, I got that bit, but why do I need one or is it just best to replace it at the same time?

Paul_13

You'll most likely bugger it when you take the pinion out, best practice to fit a new one.

Both i've rebuilt, the bearing fudged itself.

Mikey's got some Jenvy's for his 6.... :wacko:

Edited by Paul_13

andyjstone
You'll most likely bugger it when you take the pinion out, best practice to fit a new one.

Both i've rebuilt, the bearing fudged itself.

Mikey's got some Jenvy's for his 6.... :wacko:

OK, cheers for that, have sent Alan M a PM.

Gotta love those Jenveys - cleared mine out at the weekend after fitting the 309 front ARB :)

Paul_13

Let me know what rack you get, Ryan's got a few bearings spare from his, I'll see if he has one.

finnthebt

Having just done a complete front subframe & suspension swap from a 1.9 to my 1.6 with everything already built up, had to change the bottom part of the column as theremoved rack was square drive, and replaced it with splined. I would also agree with all the other comments ref your rack being square drive, on the splined ones the column is attached with a nut and bolt and not the "roundheaded square shafted bolt type thing" shown in your photo!!

Now for the rear beam and brakes....