• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
MerlinGTI

Every Cloud.......

MerlinGTI

At some stage during the early 90's (im guessing) a previous owner of my car thought it would be a great idea to drill dirty great holes in my dash to fit his house brick sized Nokia. What a pleb.

Its been bothering me for ages. The only options I could think of was a dash repair specilist or fit a new dash. Ive had my dash out before and its not an experiance I care to repeat. Ive seen dash repairs at my place of enployment, ive been less than impressed at 'soft touch' areas of the dash when repaired. Hard plastics look near perfect when done, the soft bits tend to look like they have been repaired.

Heres the damage:

Holes.jpg

:(

Ive been toying with the idea of covering it over for some time with something like brused aluminium or CF, So I bought some autoclave CF from egay:

CFBlank.jpg

Marked it up, cut it, and applied an OE '205' sticker that was found at work in a pile of forgotten about ancient decals:

Cut.jpg

It was then laquered and flatted 4 times then mopped (no pics sorry)

Finally I fitted it using UPOL 2 part epoxy 20 second glue (super strong stuff):

Finished2.jpg

Finished1.jpg

Im well chuffed with how its turned out :D I would never have bothered with this if them bloody holes wernt there, so like I said... Every cloud :)

Tell me what ya think!

custard-rallye

looks pretty good where did you get domo kun from never seen him as a air freshner

MerlinGTI

LOL :D 2 days of sodding about with a piece of CF and you wanna know about Domo :D

Got him from HMV picadilly circus mate, he isnt a air freshner though :( Infact he smells faintly of ciggerettes :) mmm

Paul_13

That's very nice, good way of covering the holes.

Did your PS3 stop working the other day?

Lan

nice job looks smart, liking the red hazard switch too thats a good idea

Baz

DOMAKON!

large

Sorry to point this out but your crook lock is completely useless :D . You can just pull the gear knob off and remove the lock :( . On a plus the dash looks nice B)

NeilGTi85

Large - It depends where you lock it, I have one on my 205 and have tried (without G/K) and due to the angle of the shaft you cant slide it over.

But, I was watching some documentry about car thieve's and they showed a crook lock as pictured above and it can be broke quite easily if you know how.

Looks good merlin

Edited by NeilGTi85

mattmalden
Sorry to point this out but your crook lock is completely useless <_< . You can just pull the gear knob off and remove the lock :o . On a plus the dash looks nice B)

Surely as long as you put the crook lock below the lift up reversey collary thingy then even if you pull the nob off (ahem) the lock will still be in place.

Nice work on the hole fix by the way!

MerlinGTI

Crook lock isnt completely useless. As with most things multi-layered security is the best. CAT 1 alarm & imobiliser + crook lock + a couple of other secret squirrel items will require a thief to be on my car long enough for me to make a cup of tea then stroll downstairs baseball bat in hand and re-arrange their anatomy.

It also goes below the reverse lever, so pulling the knob off wont help much. Agreed as a 1 step security measure its not the greatest, but like I said... multi layered :o

Plus have you ever tried to pull off a 205 knob? (groan! B) ) It took me half hour of swearing and I still punched myself in the face !

My PS3 was still working last time I used it about a week ago.

Yes DOMO rules :)

Red hazard switch is from a 106, they all have them as far as I know. Red is much better when needed in a hurry (sudden stopping traffic on the motorway etc...)

Thanks for all the comments gents <_<

Edited by MerlinGTI

damien

i would of just fitted a ph2 dash myself, but youve done a nice clean job.

not liking the red button or the air freshener tho

MerlinGTI

Why on earth would you fit a black dash to a car with grey seats/doorcards/headlining? :)

I could understand fitting a better ph1.5, they are the same dash too bar colour.... Your odd :(

Edited by MerlinGTI

damien

for the same resion you have black heater controls which stick out like a sore thumb next to your grey dash :P

the ph2 conversion does look loads better

MerlinGTI

pah, matter of opinion :P

Daviewonder
Plus have you ever tried to pull off a 205 knob? (groan! :P ) It took me half hour of swearing and I still punched myself in the face !

Im so glad im not the only one :lol:

I think it looks really good mate, looks like it could have been one of those optional extra items from back in the day.

rich.rallio

My gear knob ended up in the back seat as I changed from 3rd to 4th one day.

It had gone brittle tho and was in a few pieces.

Nice work on the dash.