• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
24seven

Steering Column Bearings

24seven

In my infinite wisdom I decided to keep a ratchet & socket in the car for removing the steering wheel when I'm not in it as an anti theft device. Unfortunately this has backfired... quite badly. Again thinking I knew what I was doing, when tightening the wheel back in place I just did it up tight and quickly and left it at that, and now it seems I've been overtightening it repeatedly and crushed the bearings in the steering column :blush:. Not only that, but in the last 2 days it's transpired that the whole ruddy column has shifted somewhat, and now there's an alarming amount of play in the rack! :o:lol::lol::);):angry:

In short, does anyone (Welshpug :P) know the part number for the upper steering column bearing (the closest one to the wheel) and where's best to get it from? Also, any advice on sorting the play in the rack? I'm gonna have a go (a sentence I should probably try to avoid using in future) at knocking the whole column the other way from the top to see if it moves back any to try and cure the play in the rack, but if not how much scope for adjustment is there in the rack/pinion itself?

welshpug

The bearings aren't listed separately for the column, I think they run directly on the shaft anyway so most of the wear wouldn't be easily solved, not sure fi anyone on here has taken a 205 column apart, I don't think the shaft can move up/down in the casing, they can on the 306 though.

Ppuzzled as to how fitting a steering wheel has damaged the bearings, they don't come into contact at all, most likely just a coincidence that your steering column has given up the ghost, the column has no bearing on how much play there is in the rack either.

24seven

I'm puzzled also, but whatever's going on is almost definitely affected by the repeated removal/refitting of the steering wheel, as I only realised what was going on as it got worse on putting the wheel on one morning, and worse gain later the same day after only a few miles inbetween.

M_R_205

I think what has happened to you, may be the same as what i did, the steering column ( the shaft) has been pushed downwards towards the bulk head, causing the wheel to interfere with the outer steering column, What i had to do was loosen off the UJ and knock the shaft back up so that the steering wheel was sitting further out into she cabin,

I may be wrong, but certainly worth a look

Paul.

Just actually read welsh pugs reply, the steering shaft shouldn't move unless the UJ is slightly loose, or you have been a heavy handed git when putting he wheel on or off :lol:

Edited by M_R_205

welshpug

yeah, that's the only thing I can think of, that one or both UJ clamps are loose.

Cameron

I've cut an old steering column to pieces, you basically have 2 needle roller bearings that run directly onto the shaft, but I'm pretty sure they were integral to the column outer. I can't remember quite now the shaft was located in the outer column though.

M_R_205

Its not located as such, When you tighten the upper UJ that is what stops the column moving fore and aft

24seven

I think I may have unwittingly been very heavy handed with the nut on the steering wheel. :)

I've had a nosey and the play is definitely in the rack and is getting significantly worse every time I drive the thing, so I'm gonna keep it off the road for a bit. Since I'm going to replace it anyway and the standard rack does my head in being so long, I'm gonna go for a quick rack and probably replace the whole column while I'm at it to cure the funked bearings. I've left a post in another thread about quick racks to save going OT here and confusing myself. Thanks for the help folks :).