• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Daviewonder

306 Gti6 Arb

Daviewonder

I've been doing a bit of research and I've read you can use 24mm GTI6 anti roll bar in a 309 beam but it needs to be modified, Anyone know what needs doing to it?

cheers, Dave.

Anthony

The two usual methods are either get it cut down and resplined or cut the end off and weld it.

Daviewonder

Any idea how much longer they are? Ive seen a picture of 309 and 306 Torsion bars next to each other and there almost the same length, would the difference in these be the same as the difference in the ARB's?

welshpug

Yup pretty close :(

Daviewonder

Should the ARB be fitted from the left hand side of the beam? Why is this? Due to this I guess I should get the left hand side cut and welded?

welshpug

the left hand side is normally the fixed side, the clearance to the trailing arms on the seals is set on the right hand end plate :(

Daviewonder

Ok, thats cleared up a few questions.

Cheers guys :(

shalmaneser
the left hand side is normally the fixed side, the clearance to the trailing arms on the seals is set on the right hand end plate :(

eh?

Is this something I've missed? When I put my ARB back in I just pulled the endplate onto the splines as far as it would go until both sides had approximately equal engagement? I can't see how it would make any difference...

welshpug

its how its meant to be done according to half a dozen haynes manuals that cover this type of beam, l/h plate remains fully seated on the splines and the r/h is draw on till clearance is correct.

Edited by welshpug

Anthony

In reality however, it makes absolutely no odds.

petert

You cut approx 80mm off the GTi6 bar, then respline (or weld), for a 205. Not sure about length for a 309.

welshpug

the left hand end of the ARB has a notch to align it in the end plate, you place it so it lines up with the 8mm bolt hole, the right hand does not.

you then fit the ARB and place the right hand end plate on and if your trailing arms/torsion bars are set equally the bolt hole for that side will line up, thats why the left hand end is the fixed end.

shalmaneser
the left hand end of the ARB has a notch to align it in the end plate, you place it so it lines up with the 8mm bolt hole, the right hand does not.

you then fit the ARB and place the right hand end plate on and if your trailing arms/torsion bars are set equally the bolt hole for that side will line up, thats why the left hand end is the fixed end.

That's good to know, I need to whip it off to check the seals anyway. I'll fiddle around with it then.

tomcolinjones

is there anyone who can shorten a xsara vts one to fit a gti beam with vts arms?

Tom Fenton

Yes, PM me.

allanallen
Yes, PM me.

i'm running one of Mr Fentons modded arbs and its spot on :lol:

tomcolinjones
i'm running one of Mr Fentons modded arbs and its spot on :lol:

pm sent!