• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
24seven

Think I Need Better Pads...

24seven

After a very spirited run down Black Mountain pass today my pads were bellowing smoke. The disks are fine, no cracks or anything but at first when I pulled to a stop I thought there was a fire somewhere, the pads themselves were smoking that much! I'm using Dot 5.1 which held up perfectly and the pedal didn't go soft or spongy at all, and surprisingly the pads didn't really show any signs of fading until they were almost alight.

Even though I've put a bigger engine in, I'm confident in the braking power offered by the 1.6 callipers, and want to keep the lighter setup rather than forking out for new hubs/shafts/brakes from a 1.9 or similar. The pads I'm using atm are EBC Greenstuff which have been spot on and perfectly reliable otherwise, and I don't blame them for smoking so much as they took a REAL pasting, but what alternatives are there that might withstand higher temperatures without the risk of fire?

daveo

what pads are you using now?

i know the rally boys my way rate either mintex 1144's (not 55's i'm told they'll eat the disks) or ferodo DS2500's on standard disks for stage rallys.

Batfink

whats your budget? If you have the money then something like Carbone Lorraine / CL Brakes pads will more than meet your requirements.

The 1155 is about the same friction co-efficient as the 1144's so should give similar disc wear but they need to be got up to temperature to work effectively.

Greenstuff really is not up to the job once high temperatures are reached and with the small discs and calipers you will get those temps once you push along at a fair rate.

Kev

swordfish210

I set some Greenstuffs on fire once at Llandow with a standard 1.4. I really rated the Pagid RS4-2's that i used to have in my 1.6 calipers, they had excellent bite from cold and never faded on track.

Rippthrough

I like 1144's as a road pad, RC6's can pull your face off but eat discs - heven't tried RC5 yet - but carbotech XP8's are almost on par with RC6's and have disc and pad wear as low as the 1144's. Can squeal a little when cold but still bite well around town. Bit pricey though.

DS2500's are a little more fade resistant than the 1144's but have slightly less bite when cold, might be an option?

davepug205

Any thoughts on redstuff pads?

24seven

Another lad I know who's done a few rallies in a 205 recommended the 1155's too. Summer's coming so I'm not so worried about cold performance at the moment. After the advice here I'm thinking either them or the DS2500s, though the mintex disks & pads I put on my 306 were spot on, I've heard a lot of horror stories about the friction material separating from the backing with their stuff.

Who's a good manufacturer of the 1.6 disks also? Can you get plain Brembo H/C in this fitment?

hengti
Any thoughts on redstuff pads?

i've tried those on the current car and took them out for std - they didn't do cold at all well in my experience

woodsy

I recently changed mine from EBC greenstuff to mintex 1144 for road use and they are way better.

welshpug

A friend of mine runs yellows in his 1.6 rally car, hauls up damn well though it does run AO48's and a quaife diff on Tarmac Bilsteins most of the time, no issues from them in 3-4 seasons.

24seven

Thanks for the advice guys :(. Where would be the best place to buy 1155's from? Also after decent quality disks if anyone can recommend a manufacturer.

richsmells

Miles supplies Mintex at competitive prices.

RGT100

Hi

I was thinking of getting green stuff pads bu after hearing a 205 made them smoke has me worried

I want good braking from cold but need to be better than the pads i have at the moment wich i think are standard if i go down a bank and use the brakes a bit to much (15% Hill)

I mean normal driving just trying to slow myself down they stink no smoke but they stink and evey time i stop in traffic the stench is horrific i have driven other cars down the same bank and putting brakes on more than i would put in my car and they where fine i looked back in the S/history and the pads cost £9.97 so the are proberly the poorest pads availible

This has me worried as i have an towing A Frame and pick up cars now and then if the pads are starting to burn on its own then with a ton on the back back i will be bellowing smoke out the front wheels

So i need Pads that work from cold as good as standard pads but are not going to burn when i am putting a bit of extra strain on the Brakes

Any suggestions

I was going for greenstuff pads but after a 205 smoking pads on its own I don't know What to go for

woodsy

Mintex 1144 are way better than Greens.

RGT100

hi

how do i get i look for these pads mintex 1144 but went on the mintex site lists my pads for the 306 247mm Vented discs TD (93-99) but how do i no if they are 1144?

Edited by RGT100

24seven
hi

how do i get i look for these pads mintex 1144 but went on the mintex site lists my pads for the 306 247mm Vented discs TD (93-99) but how do i no if they are 1144?

http://stores.shop.ebay.co.uk/PugRacing-Ge...634Q2ec0Q2em322

Ebay shop for the user Miles on here.

The greenstuffs are fine daily, even after burning they seem to be performing just as well now as they were doing before, but I was REALLY going some, quite a lot of prolonged hard braking.

RGT100

http://www.europerformance.co.uk/pages/pro...product=3724328

Hi what are these are the DS2000/DS2500/DS3000?

I am Trying to get the prices and then read the review and then make a choice

What i am after is good normal braking but a bit extra when using it for towing so the don't start to over heat to quick

I have read reviews about mintex 1144 and they are ment to eat the discs wich has me worried

Greenstuff: after reading about the inconsistancies in their pads has put me off

I don't want to go to high up in performance pads as i don't drive my car that hard at all no track day as it is a diesel and i heard with the high peformance pads they galze over i not worked hard enough and start to squeel

http://www.europerformance.co.uk/pages/pro...?product=574014

Is this the black diamond pads that i have hear nothing bad so far about ?

Edited by RGT100

welshpug
http://www.europerformance.co.uk/pages/pro...product=3724328

Hi what are these are the DS2000/DS2500/DS3000?

neither, it says

FERODO / DS PERFORMANCE PADS (FRONT) 'STREET'

by Ferodo Fitment Peugeot 306 1.9TD, 1995>02/97

on that link.

they do have DS2500 on that website, they cost about £20 more for that calliper.

Rippthrough

Always found 1144's fairly gentle on discs to be honest, they've never been much worse than a normal road pad.

Batfink

If you want to keep standard OE pads then buy a bigger brake set from the 206 or 306 gti6. You will gain unsprung weight but the extra pad and disc surface area should help cooling.

RGT100

I think i might go for Ferodo Premiers some one rates them very high on here and no one had any thing bad to say about them

I got a price from halfors £28.99 FDB876

Does that sound ok i don't want to be ripped off?

Edited by RGT100

Batfink

sounds like the name of a OEM pad compound.