• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
pacmannewry

Rear Shocks

pacmannewry

Hi folks, I'm trying to return my pug to it's original ride height (or as close as possible). The torsion bars have been loosened but the shocks don't seem to allow me to move the beam very far. Am I doing someting wrong or is it possible that when it was lowered, that the previous owners installed shorter shocks absorbers? IS this the norm when lowering the car?

Thanks

pablo

undo one end of the shock mate then set the ride height. then set the car on the ground and refit the shocks. with the weight of the car on the torsion bars the shock should go back on ok. alternatively put a jack under the trailing arm and jack it up enough to get the shock back on.

never seen a shortened shock available personally.

pacmannewry

Cheers Pablo - I think my father-in-law (who's helping me with the mechanics) is out of his depth with torsion bars but won't admit it (he's 73 and very stuck in his ways).

pablo

they are a bit funky to be fair, once you get the head around it tho not too bad.

welshpug

it is quite normal for the trailing arms at rest position to be beyond the full extension of the dampers at a standard or slightly lower ride height, even with standard dampers :mellow: