• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
tomcolinjones

Building Xs Road Rally Car, Have Gti 1.9 With Blown Engine, What Will

tomcolinjones

hi, i have a n XS and i am going to be using it for road rallying. i am planning on swaping the front struts and rear beam. but im not sure about the front discs and calipers, will they fit on the xs hubs? i know the drive shaft sizes are different so i cant just swap the hubs.

also should i use the whole gti steering/suspension setup and use the wishbone? or is this not realy much beter?

look foreward to hearing your responses, as work starts tomorrow!

oh and both cars are ph1

tomcolinjones

Also, will the standard 13's fit over the 1.9 beam?

PaulJLLD

What 13inch wheels you using? if there steels then im sure the wheels wont fit over the 1.9 gti brakes, the gti subframe etc is a better set-up but i have never done a swap onto the xs, think you need to mod the gear linkang where it fixs to the subframe, Sure someone will tell me if im right or wrong,

Pm me if your after any tips will help if i can, i road rally a 205 myself.

Paul

tomcolinjones
What 13inch wheels you using? if there steels then im sure the wheels wont fit over the 1.9 gti brakes, the gti subframe etc is a better set-up but i have never done a swap onto the xs, think you need to mod the gear linkang where it fixs to the subframe, Sure someone will tell me if im right or wrong,

Pm me if your after any tips will help if i can, i road rally a 205 myself.

Paul

thanks paul, the standard xs wheels, ive got some cheap 13 gravel tyres for using at my friends timber yard- which he uses as a special stage for the buldog rally. and the border 100. and was wondering if they would fit over the 1.9 beam brakes. im keeping the xs frons for now, im fitting bias pedalbox so can sort out the braking.

PaulJLLD
thanks paul, the standard xs wheels, ive got some cheap 13 gravel tyres for using at my friends timber yard- which he uses as a special stage for the buldog rally. and the border 100. and was wondering if they would fit over the 1.9 beam brakes. im keeping the xs frons for now, im fitting bias pedalbox so can sort out the braking.

yeah thay should fit over the rear 1.9 brakes, mick jones you mean? thay ant using it on this years border 100.

tdr_1976

I road rally a 205 XS and find the std XS setup ok, I have fitted Koni adjustable struts with 205 diesel springs and it works fine with 13" wheels.

The biggest problem I have come across, is that it's hard to find tyres for 13" these days.

The only thing that can make it better for me now, is fitting 205 challenge poly bushes onto the front end, as I have sorted the engine out with a set of grp N mounts, uprated gear linkages and quick shift. BIG improvements!

*EDIT*

I forgot to mention that I also use std XS brakes, the only difference is that I use DOT 5.1 brake fluid and Green stuff pads, I'm getting some braided front flexi hoses sorted out at the moment.

Edited by tdr_1976

tomcolinjones

just had a play around today, was swapping over thexs struts with the gti ones, and couldnt get the pinch bolt out. n e ideas?. and i managed to get the 139 discs and calipers to fit nicely on the standard hub, someone told me you kneed a 1.1 hub or sumthin, but all seems to be ok.

doen any one know any one who can make up braided hoses? i just need a set for the rear 1.9 beam.

and doen any one have a hydraulic handbrake going cheap?

tomcolinjones

few spelling mistakes above. sory.

ive got the 1.9 gti front brakes on and the struts. doesnt seem much stiffer to be honest. it is a little lower tho. are diesel springs the way to go? how much stiffer are they? was thinking about getting a set of AVO asjustable dampers off pete LLoyd rallying and the gravel spec springs on there.

i still need rear braided hoses.

must say the car looks a bit poised on the drive now, like my old gti :) miss it.