• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
JackTar

Fitting Central Locking To A Cti

JackTar

I recently bought a CTi and want to fit central locking to it. I have the central locking motors but cannot for the life of me work out how the wiring is routed from the body of the car to the tailgate - unless my car has a part missing. It's easy on the hatchback but not so on the CTi. Has anyone fitted central locking to a CTi out there? If so, help!

mr_exe

I did on our CJ by sending the wire inside the boot lid exiting via the bung near the left hand hinge, attached the wiring to the hinge and into the car via the drain tube in the hinge 'reveal' and then into the car, and to the connector near the fusebox.

steve@cornwall
I recently bought a CTi and want to fit central locking to it. I have the central locking motors but cannot for the life of me work out how the wiring is routed from the body of the car to the tailgate - unless my car has a part missing. It's easy on the hatchback but not so on the CTi. Has anyone fitted central locking to a CTi out there? If so, help!

mine has c/l (doesn't work) as a dealer option. I seem to recollect bthe wiring entering the boot lid on the n/s around the hinge area. Put the car into storage just last weekend, so not sure if I can get to it to check anytime soon, though.

mr_exe

That's interesting as I was under the impression that convertibles with central locking only did the doors and not the boot.

JackTar

Thanks guys, I'll have a look at mine again tomorrow. I think CTis must have central locking as the boot lid seems to have the mounting holes. If I can't find a way through I'll have to improvise to stop the wire chafing on the hinge mechanism.

Henry Yorke

I fitted CL to mine. It is a 93 one with detachable door looms.

The wiring in the boot was already there in the near side corner. The boot CL motor will only lock and not unlock. There is a reason for this if you think about it. If it unlocks too then you couls pass any open CTI, pull up the drivers door lock and open the boot. The fact it doesn't work means you can leave things securely in the boot :) The rear seat drop releases are in the boot so everything is secure.

To fit CL, you need two non PLIP CL motors (a grey one from the drivers side). Don't use a 3 pin one on the drivers door. You may as well fit electric windows at the same time as that usually comes on the loom and standard GTI motors will fit with some modification.

If your car does not have the detachable looms, you will need to build one and hook it through. I used trailer board wire to make a mini loom across to the fuse box. A Haynes manual clearly states what pins you need to go into in the fuse board.

Hope this helps!

P.S. CTIs never came with an inner tailgate trim incase you think yours is missing!

JackTar
I fitted CL to mine. It is a 93 one with detachable door looms.

The wiring in the boot was already there in the near side corner. The boot CL motor will only lock and not unlock. There is a reason for this if you think about it. If it unlocks too then you couls pass any open CTI, pull up the drivers door lock and open the boot. The fact it doesn't work means you can leave things securely in the boot :lol: The rear seat drop releases are in the boot so everything is secure.

To fit CL, you need two non PLIP CL motors (a grey one from the drivers side). Don't use a 3 pin one on the drivers door. You may as well fit electric windows at the same time as that usually comes on the loom and standard GTI motors will fit with some modification.

If your car does not have the detachable looms, you will need to build one and hook it through. I used trailer board wire to make a mini loom across to the fuse box. A Haynes manual clearly states what pins you need to go into in the fuse board.

Hope this helps!

P.S. CTIs never came with an inner tailgate trim incase you think yours is missing!

JackTar

Thanks for that - I'm glad you told me about the boot lid trim as I wondered why mine didn't have one fitted. Have managed to get a spare from a standard GTi and will fit it once the CL problem is sorted.

Henry Yorke

You will see there is a bump in the panel for the rear wash wipe motor!!