• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
boldy205

Rear 'strut Brace'

boldy205

Dont all go mad, i know this is a silly product.Imm sure i have seen one somewhere, advertised as a strut brace, but actually was wondering if its usable as a harness bar? Am i correct in thinking these mount to the rear upper seat belt mounts?

I have done a search, but found nothing, i think kit was a Spooks item i saw somewhere, but cant find it on their site.

Really looking for pics, as i am thinking about making one.

Many thanks

Matt

marksorrento205

I have seen a few that bolt / weld inbetween the rear inner wheel arches

RossD

I wouldn't trust it unless the area on the arches it is attached to is suitably reinforced.....

marksorrento205

I agree with that. I think if its that inportant to have a harness bar you would have a cage anyhow, and therefore a harness bar welded in. But thats my opinion.

welshpug

I'd get a harness bar attached to the cage myself.

also, ask the sellers to show you the rear struts :P

marksorrento205
I'd get a harness bar attached to the cage myself.

Thats what I meant above just wrote it like a spaz :D

Edited by marksorrento205

Henry Yorke

I think was a "tuning" company in Leicester used to sell them that bolted onto the rear arches. I would doubt that was a secure enough place to pass a proper MOT fro the reasons mentioned above. I would try and mount to the standard rear seatbelt mounting points as a minimum as they are pretty thick and reinforced as has been said

boldy205

Thanks for the replies, i thought the ones i seen were made to bolt between the rear seats upper belt mount, but now you say, i think they were on the inner arches, which i would

nt mount to anyway. Think i will try to make up a bar to go between the rear seats upper belt mount.

Many thanks

Matt.

davey sprocket

If you did want something mounted between the rear seatbelt holes..... there's some inpriration here. Bit of a pain to download the article but a good read and Nick (GTI6BOY) has done exactly what you were suggesting.

Has to be said though, I'd rather it was part of a proper cage!

Miles

Anywhere in the back without a cage is pointless even if re-enforced, Have you seen how badly the back crush's if in any sort of acident?

But then the std points are not much better

boldy205

I do have a cage in the car. A C12 safety devices. Im a bit reluctant to go butchering the cage to be honest. So my idea is a bad one then?

welshpug

no need to "butcher" the cage, you only need to add a harness bar :D

boldy205

This is true. I suppose it would be ok. Sod it, im getting the welder out!

On second thoughts, MILES:you said about the rear of the cars not being very strong, did you realise i had the cage and was thinking of mounting the harness bar to the rear upper seatbelt mounts?

Thanks

Matt

welshpug

have you got a bar to go in?

If not I'd get in touch with Dan on the 106 Rallye register, he works for Caged not far from bath and I'm sure could get a piece of tube mitred etc ready to go in, he made some cage feet for my brothers Saxo from a template i drew and they were spot on :mellow:

kate205gti

ive got a rear strut brace in mine - absolutely pointless and wouldnt attach anything important to it!! but - it is in just the right place to hold a gearbox secure in your boot without it shifting around :mellow: also handy for holding tool boxes in place :lol: def dont attach harnesses to it thou it fits on the flimsiest inner arch bit and would come straight out in a crash

Miles

This is what I do to the C12 cage's I fit.

post-43-1267305816_thumb.jpg

boldy205

I like that Miles! Im goin to weld the harness bar to the cage, and the idea of another brace looks good!

Thanks!

I wouldnt mount a harness bar to the inner arches dont worry! Not even a carpenter like me would bodge it up that bad!!

SurGie

Would there be more strength/stability of the cage if the floor mounting part of the cage was bolted to the

beam bots ?

Edited by SurGie

boldy205

Surgie: i too have thought this, i think the the idea of mounting to the boot floor is a bit odd when you have the beam mounts to go too?!

welshpug

the boot floor is a few layers thick at the side there, though I can't remember looking at the underneath of where its mounted whether there's a crossmember there, it might be further back than that.

boldy205

Thinking about it, it was a bit of a swine to bolt the rear feet, think it was a chassis leg/cross member type thing there!

Thanks for the replies everyone, i have notched a piece of 38mm CDS to fit, and will get the old man to weld it on sunday!

Will post a few pics up if i have time!

Cheers

Matt