• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
PaulJLLD

Braided Hoses

PaulJLLD

Hi,

Im tyring to make my mind up if i should just use copper pipe or braided hose when im puting my brake lines though my rally car,

What are the pros and cons of using each?

Thanks Paul

Miles

Personal choice, I run copper lines in my Race car with Braded to the calliper's and do around 50% of each on customer's Race/Rally cars, Not much help I know but a idea

tri_longer

Both do the same job, but personally speaking having fitted copper lines, if I had the time over I would sod the cost and do braided purely because they are so much simpler than cutting and flaring the the copper.

PaulJLLD

Thanks, Still unsure which way to go though.

pug_ham

I think the only downside to using braided over copper is if the hose does get damaged or the internal rubber perishes you can't see it & they can still split.

I'd stick to copper pipe as much as possible inside the car & just get braided for where it has to be outside.

Graham.

boombang

PeteF, way back in the day, told me that even though braided lines barely flex, they still do to some extent.

Copper, pretty obviously, won't be doing the same.

Short runs where you need a flexable line, the advantages of braided over rubber are massive.

On a long run through a car, copper will flex less and therefore give more direct pedal input.

Difference might be next to nothing, but then Pete did work with F1 guys and last I heard was at Prodrive...

davidc
Thanks guys

Im sure there was a good post on here recently detailing all the parts you needed to put braided brake lines into a 205, it had all the lengths, fittings, etc.

Can anyone remember where it is or who posted it ? If I remember correctly....the cost was around £80 whereas a 6 line set for a 1.9 GTi is around £65 ???

I think we'll go for the braided throughout in our rally car just for ease of fitting.

Cheers,

David