• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
dino20vt

Ebay Torsion Bars

Saveit

Ive ordered a set yesterday. Guy seems quite knowledgeable and promised good quality.

Cameron

That's bloody cheap, would be interesting what 309PUG (the bloke who makes them on here) thinks of the quality of them, and how it's possible the eBay seller could undercut his prices by almost £130! Something has to be a bit iffy somewhere, unless he just doesn't mind making jack s*it out of them. :)

Baz

They were talked about in a previous topic, and the general consensus were that they were too cheap to be trusted as good. Who knows though!

petert

Given they're still shiny on the splines, I'd say they haven't been heat treated.

dino20vt
That's bloody cheap, would be interesting what 309PUG (the bloke who makes them on here) thinks of the quality of them, and how it's possible the eBay seller could undercut his prices by almost £130! Something has to be a bit iffy somewhere, unless he just doesn't mind making jack s*it out of them. :)

Seems the eBay ones have been about for a while, this is PUG309s opinion:

http://forum.205gtidrivers.com/index.php?s...=103269&hl=

Rippthrough
Given they're still shiny on the splines, I'd say they haven't been heat treated.

That's what I was thinking last time, but it's hard to tell from the pictures.

Edited by Rippthrough

Cameron

Saveit can you let us all know what you think of them when they arrive, and how well they fit? Also some better pics wouldn't go amiss!

Saveit

Yeah no problem mate. Ill check them against another set of bars, and take som closer photos of them. He insured me they were good quality, but i wouldnt know whether that will be true or not. But i possibly will when i recieve them.

petert

I had some 21mm bars made once, that weren't heat treated, and they sagged and went dead. Had to recall the batch for heat treating. You can do it without, but you need to use a larger diameter to stay within the elastic limit of the material. Sort of defeats the purpose of a spring.

Edited by petert

Miles

Never seen them or anything but as said at that price and knowing what proper bar's cost I cannot see it personally, He will of course say they are fine to get your money and when or if they go wrong I doubt you'll have any comeback with I guess him not being a company

petert

If done correctly, hardness should measure approx 42 RC. Easy enough to check. Otherwise, they'll just be spaghetti.

Saveit

How could i check that peter? And is there a way of heat treating them myself?

petert

You need a portable Rockwell hardness tester. Or, take the bar to a heat treatment place and/or metallurgist. They'll have one.

Another method is to try hitting a small centre punch into the end of a standard bar. Bar standing vertical on concrete floor. Have the new one along side, and try to repeat the same force with the hammer. Not exactly technical, but if there is a considerable difference.....................

From my experience, heat treatment costs the same as machining.

205turbo

They have been tested as they are made by the engineering company that made them for me

dino20vt

So there's a good chance they're decent?

205turbo

i would think 35% of the forum run them

Alastairh

I use to run them and didn't have any problems. Intact I was one of the first 3 on the forum to run them as I had one of the prototypes!

Al

Baz

Haha! Good to know, and in fact i ahev some too then! :)

Saveit

Ive got mine a week ago or so. They seem good quality. Precision work. And seller is very easy to communicate with, so just ask him if anything.

Havent tried the PeterT-hammer test yet, but i will when i get my exisiting torsion bars off :lol:

Cameron

Sounds promising then. :rolleyes:

TurboSam

"Good discounts for bulk purchases!!!!!!"

... sounds he might do a decent deal for a group buy? I might be after some 24mm bars if they're any good.

Pugnut
I use to run them and didn't have any problems. Intact I was one of the first 3 on the forum to run them as I had one of the prototypes!

Al

Al, didn't i buy one off you about 100 years ago? a 309 one, 24mm iirc ? its still in the garage with everything elese if thats the case, and i've had no bother with mine :)

205turbo

if anyone wants any let me know as i can get them cheaper than anybody will do on here even with a massive group buy lol