• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
BusEngineer

Quick Question While Im In And Out Of The Garage

BusEngineer

As above really

Can i remove my 205 front ARB and fit a 309 one in its place with the subframe still bolted up?

Cheers in advance

Jon

marksorrento205

Worst case, cant you remove the rear four subframe bolts, loosen the front two so you have enough to slide it rearwards?

Tom Fenton

I don't think you'll get it out. But undo 6 bolts and the lower eng mount and drop the whole thing down, leaving the track rod ends attached and you should have enough room.

pug_ham

Not without dropping the back of the subframe but you have to do this to get the clamps off anyway.

Graham.

j_turnell

You have to drop the whole subframe as theres just not enough room, only 6 bolts and the bottom mount so pretty straight forward. I tried to do it without and it was a pain in the arse, saves lot of time and swearing just to drop it and leave it hanging off the rack.

James

BusEngineer

OK thanks for the advice

Should i be worrying alot about shearing subframe bolts?? :(

treesimon
OK thanks for the advice

Should i be worrying alot about shearing subframe bolts?? :(

I wont worry about shearing the rear 4 bolts (2 pairs ) next to the ARB clamps as they bolt on to a clamp plate than sits under the carpet in the footwells.

The single bolts one on each wheel arch is where i'd be a little more curious, just spray with plenty of monkey spunk then go for it. they will be tight. mine came out fine when i released them to change my PAS rack.

If they do break i think the captive nuts are replaceable( arch bolts), dont think this is an easy job at all. The clamp plates are easy to replace.

Edited by treesimon