• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
rubyna

Steering Gone Twitchy?

rubyna

As above really i have a gti5 with PAS fitted yesterday it was fine, today its gone all heavy when the wheels are facing straight then when i

turn the wheel left or right I have to use a fair bit of force then its o.k. untill i need to turn the wheel in a different direction it goes rather skittish,

hard to describe really but its dangerous for sure! I fitted new T.R.E.s no difference, theres no leaks the fluid is as should be. Really baffling me its not

wishbone bushes as i changed them before X-mas, any ideas as its doing my nut in,bye the way its the original 205 pas rack..Could it be the pas pump?

and is there any way of checking it? All help and replys appreciated..Thanks

Luke..

Edited by rubyna

jimistdt

*empties pockets*

I'll bet you 7 pence, a piece of wrigley's chewing gum and a plectrum it's the lower steering u/j. Mine did exactly as you describe, almost overnight, when I got mine off it would only move in one direction, not at all in the other!! Don't know how I managed to steer!

I bought mine from ECP, about half the price of Peugeot.

Have a look through brakes and suspension, you'll see my thread. (Here it is)

If you order from ECP, see that the part number ends in '1', to be sure of OE quality.

Get that done, it's like a new car! :rolleyes:

Edited by jimistdt

rubyna
*empties pockets*

I'll bet you 7 pence, a piece of wrigley's chewing gum and a plectrum it's the lower steering u/j. Mine did exactly as you describe, almost overnight, when I got mine off it would only move in one direction, not at all in the other!! Don't know how I managed to steer!

I bought mine from ECP, about half the price of Peugeot.

Have a look through brakes and suspension, you'll see my thread. (Here it is)

If you order from ECP, see that the part number ends in '1', to be sure of OE quality.

Get that done, it's like a new car! ;)

Cheers Jimi will try that A.S.A.P but my missus just had our little boy 5lb10oz. :) . Will let you know how i get on..

Luke..

jimistdt
Cheers Jimi will try that A.S.A.P but my missus just had our little boy 5lb10oz. ;) . Will let you know how i get on..

Luke..

Hey well done, fantastic! :)

rubyna
Hey well done, fantastic! :)

They havnt got it listed on there website? where else to try?

2-Pugs

I've had that problem with the lower UJ seizing before as well. I just removed the lower column section with the UJ on it, and then soaked the UJ in a container of WD-40 overnight. Before, it was seized virtually solid in one direction. After, it was completely free moving again. I put it back on and it worked fine, and stayed fine for the remainder of the time I had that car (another 2-3 years or so).

It was strange in that it seemed to seize almost overnight as well!

rubyna

Back to this after having a family issue, i need to check if my car has the square or spline type lower U/Joint, which is the easiest way of telling i have the pas rack if that makes a difference? from what i can make out from under the footwell its a spline type am i looking at the right joint??

Thanks in advance but i want to be sure before i look..

Luke..

rubyna

Anyone help on this?? really need to know if im looking at the right joint before i shell out for the part...

Luke...

Paul_13

Get your head underneath the car and have a look at the clamp which attached to the rack. The square is pretty obvious to spot as it square and the splined one is a bit rounder.

I pretty much guarantee its a splined. If you got a square one you blessed. Get a Xsara rack :rolleyes:

rubyna

So to check which one i need i have to look from under the car not inside? As when i looked from under the bonnet i couldnt really make anything out. It is a Power steering rack aswell.. This be doing my head in..

Luke..

Daviewonder

This is the bit you need to check-

SAM_0661.jpg

:P

jimistdt

Yes, either turn the wheel full lock left and squeeze your head behind the wheel (if your head is much smaller than mine it might not be such a squeeze) and you should be able to make it out from there. Just occured to me that you might have have to remove the arch liner as mine is not attached at the minute. Or you can slide under the car on your back looking up.

rubyna
This is the bit you need to check-

SAM_0661.jpg

:)

That bit i see, am i right in thinking the bit behind the rubber hose on the pic will tell me if its square drive or spline?? Mine looks exactly like that but im looking down at it with a 6engine and mani obstructing view so i shall get underneath tommorow to confirm..

Cheers,Luke..

Daviewonder

I think so, the couple I've seen in my time have both been square top and splined bottom.

rubyna

Has anyone got an exact picture of this bloody u/joint or can confirm that in the pic above the hose is covering the square or splined part???

Luke..

Paul_13

The pic above clearly shows the UJ, it's not covering it. It's looks like splined version.

I can get a pic of a splined one as I have one out of the car and I'll take the picture of a square drive 306 UJ I have. I'll get on it in morning mate.

They're pretty self explanatory when you see them off car.

rubyna
The pic above clearly shows the UJ, it's not covering it. It's looks like splined version.

I can get a pic of a splined one as I have one out of the car and I'll take the picture of a square drive 306 UJ I have. I'll get on it in morning mate.

They're pretty self explanatory when you see them off car.

Cheers Paul...

Paul_13

This is a splined drive UJ, really sorry but I think I chucked the square drive away in the last shed clearout.

p1000126g.th.jpg

p1000127t.th.jpg

Spiky

ditch the PAS it's for wimps ....lol

if you need a pump i think i got a spare gti6 one

rubyna
ditch the PAS it's for wimps ....lol

if you need a pump i think i got a spare gti6 one

I find the p.a.s rack suits the heavier gti6 lump up front Spiky especially on track.. Im sure its the U/joint Steve but if it turns out to be the pump ill give you a bell. Shes not been used since the last welsh meet, she was a twitchy bitch all day it spoiled the drive if im honest, plus quite dangerous considering some of the speeds we were hitting..

Spiky

dont find an issue with mine on track, and thats mainly where it's driven, mine's been parked up since that meet, it was crazy, esp as i had no washers...lol

fingers crossed it's just the UJ then dude :lol:

rubyna

Hope so mate, theyre £60 though!!!

Daviewonder
Hope so mate, theyre £60 though!!!

Bloody hell! I had a figure of around £15 in my head :lol:

Spiky

OUCH