• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
M_R_205

Advice On Fast Road Brake Pad Choice

hengti

i'm pad shopping for the Clio at the moment and think i'm edging towards Carbone Lorraine RC5+ - they're supposedly quiet, low dust, wear well, don't chew the discs and, most importantly, are excellent from cold. only problem is the cost - they're about £100/set. other options i'm considering are EBC Yellows, Mintex M1144 (55's are supposedly not as good from cold as the 44's) and DS2500s (likewise, supposedly not as good as the CLs from cold). the EBCs and the Mintex are both quite cheap compared with the Ferodos and the CLs

can always shift them on on here if you don't get on with whatever you choose

Wrighty_1988
If it's just a fast road, and even occasional track car, i'd seriously try just Ferodo Premier pads for the £13 or so quid they are from Helfrauds. I find them pretty damn good tbh and have run them in my 1.6 and Miami Mi for ages now, 2 sprint seasons, numerous trackdays, 3 'Ring trips etc. Run with 5.1 fluid and braided lines, only ever experienced a little fade at times whilst doing multiple laps in succession on pretty worn/glazed ones on the 'Ring.

Really good value!

Hey, im going to be getting myself some ferodo premier pads from halfords and i got a bit confused on which ones i want from them. My calipers are girling and there were two choices for the 1.9 caliper. And both of them said under braking system Lucas. So i dont know if to get them. One of the two comes with bolts and the other not.

Any info or advice would be great :lol:

SweetBadger
i'm pad shopping for the Clio at the moment and think i'm edging towards Carbone Lorraine RC5+ - they're supposedly quiet, low dust, wear well, don't chew the discs and, most importantly, are excellent from cold. only problem is the cost - they're about £100/set. other options i'm considering are EBC Yellows, Mintex M1144 (55's are supposedly not as good from cold as the 44's) and DS2500s (likewise, supposedly not as good as the CLs from cold). the EBCs and the Mintex are both quite cheap compared with the Ferodos and the CLs

can always shift them on on here if you don't get on with whatever you choose

Had the RC5s on my standard 1.6 brake setup, best pads I've ever used inc mintex M1144s, M1155s. Took no time at all to bed in, had great initial bite and a really firm, consistent pedal feel, and worked from stone cold.

Showed absolutely no sign of fading on track at Rockingham where the M1155s were starting to fade on the same day.

Major problem was they chewed through my standard discs like they were made of toffee! Also created lots of dust which stuck to my alloys, rusted and now won't come off.

Apparently the RC5+ pads address the wear and dust issues - if this is true then they'd be hard to beat for a fast road and track pad.

Edit - don't forget if you're upgrading your pads, they'll be able to get hotter without fading - it's probably worth swaping your brake fluid for some decent stuff - first time I fitted some M1155s I boiled my bog standard fluid while still bedding them in!

Edited by SweetBadger

M_R_205
Major problem was they chewed through my standard discs like they were made of toffee! Also created lots of dust which stuck to my alloys, rusted and now won't come off.

Apparently the RC5+ pads address the wear and dust issues - if this is true then they'd be hard to beat for a fast road and track pad.

Edit - don't forget if you're upgrading your pads, they'll be able to get hotter without fading - it's probably worth swaping your brake fluid for some decent stuff - first time I fitted some M1155s I boiled my bog standard fluid while still bedding them in!

Thanks for the input, The RC5`s sound like just what i am after, if any one else has experience with them it would be good to hear,

As for fluid, im going to try some AP 551 fluid, and i wont be using standard discs either :D

Thanks

Paul.