• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
mattmalden

Lower Arms-change One, Change All?

mattmalden

Hi,

I've noticed that my near side lower ball joint has excessive play. Makes for some very unpredictable cornering! So I need to replace the lower arm (will try and use Motaquip as I read the pattern bushes can be poor quality).

My question is - should I replace both near and off side as a pair or do I need only replace the bad (near) side?

One last thing - do you think its safe to drive (70 mile round trip) to work on Monday and Tuesday while I await parts? I'd stay below 50 and avoid pot holes and fast cornering. Otherwise it's the train for me 9 :-(

Cheers,

Matt

DrSarty

To answer the exact question, no, I wouldn't say it's necessary. Desirable, but not necessary.

But I also wouldn't assume it's the lower arm/wishbone, as it can often be an ovalled hub carrier hole that the ball joint fits into.

I'd knock the current 'bone out and down, and check for an ovalled/enlarged hole. This can cause a horrible snatch or dive-in on cornering, which has happened twice for me, both times on the nearside causing this dive-in to the right on RH bends and roundabouts. I've replaced wishbones in the past and only fixed it with replacement hub carriers.

I'd also put high tensile wishbone ball joint bolts in, as when these bend they can cause a similar problem.

The joy of driving you get back when this is fixed is wonderful.

On that basis I would advise: (in order)

* Check hub carrier hole - whilst there, check torque on subframe bolts

* If OK, refit current wishbone with high tensile bolt - test

* If hub hole not OK replace hub carrier, leave wishbone alone, refit with new HT bolt

* If hole OK, fit known good/new wishbone with new HT bolt

So your fix could be from £10 to £45 roughly.

Edited by DrSarty

hcmini1989
Hi,

I've noticed that my near side lower ball joint has excessive play. Makes for some very unpredictable cornering! So I need to replace the lower arm (will try and use Motaquip as I read the pattern bushes can be poor quality).

My question is - should I replace both near and off side as a pair or do I need only replace the bad (near) side?

One last thing - do you think its safe to drive (70 mile round trip) to work on Monday and Tuesday while I await parts? I'd stay below 50 and avoid pot holes and fast cornering. Otherwise it's the train for me 9 :-(

Cheers,

Matt

no mate you can just replace one .As long as the other side has is ok .I would advise against the driving part .Ive seen a few balljoints come out on the 406 (i used to work on taxi`s) and its not pritty luckily never realy did any damage but that was luck .Plus if it goes somewhere realy busy your not going to get towed

you will probably have to get it lifted somehow

2-Pugs

Hi Matt

Rob here. I have a pair of polybushed front wishbones going spare (as mentioned before I think?) if you are interested. The balljoints seem pretty good. I took them off No.14 this weekend. I'll catch up with you in the office on monday/tuesday!

I have also removed the BBM engine mounts now as well if you are still interested in those.

Kenno

I was wondering if you can just replace the balljoints in the arms or am I being really silly? they must be pessed in so should be able to change? would help me if you can as I need to replace both ball joints on mine as the roads around here have really fraked them!

DrSarty
I was wondering if you can just replace the balljoints in the arms or am I being really silly? they must be pessed in so should be able to change? would help me if you can as I need to replace both ball joints on mine as the roads around here have really fraked them!

No. I don't believe you can. You can replace the boot and clip though. 306/406 wishbones are different though.

However are you sure it's the ball joints and not your hubs as mentioned earlier?

And also replacing balljoints - even if it can be done - seems more hassle than it's worth, when PartCo pattern 'bones are only about £38 anyway, and you'll get new inner bushes as well.

johny105_y2k

I dont think you can on the 205 , on later pugs you can 106 etc

it may depend on the type of wisbone.

i asked at my local motor factors and they had none listed so??? take from that what you will.

await further responses though.

Would later ones fit the 205? hmmmmmm..

johny

Kenno

no is deffo the balljoints lol been there done that with the hubs thats why I have GTi6 hubs fitted now.

mattmalden

I tightened the ball joint clamp nut (it was pretty tight already though) and was okay for 2 days, but now the knocking is back.

The torque for that nut is only 35NM which seems very low to me - no wonder the hub 'ovals'. Does anyone know why the torque can't be higher? Is the pin supposed to rotate? I thought thats what the ball and socket were for?!

So today I'll look at the hub, see if its round or not. A few questions tough:

1/. Lower arms

are pattern ones really that bad (lifespan) for everyday road driving?

whats happened to 'Motapart' - Motaquip seller in Halesowen?

can anyone suggest a place for OEM lower arms at a good price?

2/. Hubs

Do the 306 gti6 one fit? I thought they weren't a straight swap? Whats the best way to modify them to fit - if indeed they do need modification?

Where to buy 205 std front hubs? Are they costly? Are pattern parts ok?

Cheers for all the good input so far!!

Matt

Rob - hi mate, I'll have those lower arms on payday if you've still got them. They can go on 'project gti6' - with the polybushes and 7001 springs I'll better see if I can find a nice cushion!

BusEngineer

Buy the pattern wishbone and then press out the bushes and fit OE Pug ones, much better quality, and fairly cheap

For example i ignored this advice and just fitted the pattern ones, which i thought were fine. Turns out not, stripped mine off the other day and the rear bushes are completely shagged . . . . . they've probably done 3000 miles maximum

Good job im replacing them for 309 ones :mellow:

mattmalden
To answer the exact question, no, I wouldn't say it's necessary. Desirable, but not necessary.

But I also wouldn't assume it's the lower arm/wishbone, as it can often be an ovalled hub carrier hole that the ball joint fits into.

I'd knock the current 'bone out and down, and check for an ovalled/enlarged hole. This can cause a horrible snatch or dive-in on cornering, which has happened twice for me, both times on the nearside causing this dive-in to the right on RH bends and roundabouts. I've replaced wishbones in the past and only fixed it with replacement hub carriers.

I'd also put high tensile wishbone ball joint bolts in, as when these bend they can cause a similar problem.

The joy of driving you get back when this is fixed is wonderful.

On that basis I would advise: (in order)

* Check hub carrier hole - whilst there, check torque on subframe bolts

* If OK, refit current wishbone with high tensile bolt - test

* If hub hole not OK replace hub carrier, leave wishbone alone, refit with new HT bolt

* If hole OK, fit known good/new wishbone with new HT bolt

So your fix could be from £10 to £45 roughly.

Looks like its the hub carrier! Still nursing her round okay though. Any suggestions where to get the replacement? Is pattern / GSF okay? Any bad experiences i should avoid?

Cheers,

matt

Kenno

Well after buying a new front wishbone I have found out that it has a ovalled hole where the lower balljoint goes!! I feel so dumb now lol so am now looking for some 1.9 hubs in good condition!! Doh