• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
chocolate_o_brian

I Think One Of My Rear Calipers Is Siezed

chocolate_o_brian

I've got a feeling the drivers side rear caliper is seizing or sticking. Symptoms include whining/squeeling when setting off from a standstill and a very twitchy back end under braking. somethings definitely not working back there.

Could I replace the caliper with another without having to change all my brake fluid? I'm ok changing pads/discs, but never attempted to swap calipers over/undo bleed nipples/bleed brakes etc.

Hoping I could just get either one or a pair of rear calipers second hand and swap them over.

Any help welcome, search didn't bring anything up :)

EdCherry

Your going to have to bleed the brakes if you swap the caliper.

You sure its the caliper and not the compensator?

If you've got original rubber hoses (not braided) you can always clamp the hose so there is less fluid lost, less to replace and not as much air to bleed.

jimistdt

Have you checked the pad thickness? Could it be the pads are getting low?.

chocolate_o_brian
Your going to have to bleed the brakes if you swap the caliper.

You sure its the caliper and not the compensator?

If you've got original rubber hoses (not braided) you can always clamp the hose so there is less fluid lost, less to replace and not as much air to bleed.

The hoses are braided ones mate so looks like I'd have to bleed the system fully. I've got some spare fluid, just need to get a mate to help I guess.

May I ask what the compensator is/does?

I thought it was the caliper as when I last changed the rear discs/pads, the piston in the drivers side rubber seal looked rather knackered/split. Wondering if it's let crap and grime in and seized a little. The wear on the discs/pads was also uneven when I changed them.

chocolate_o_brian
Have you checked the pad thickness? Could it be the pads are getting low?.

I'll definitely check again for the sake of 5 mins with the rear wheels off. Would low pads cause them to stick though? When I park on slight indents now the car doesn't move, it used to roll LOL :) Thats what made me think it's sticking somewhere. That and when coming to a slow hault, the rear seems to lift slightly on the drivers side like something is sticking. Hard to explain over here.