• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
stee 1FM

205 Abs Problem Help

stee 1FM

Hi,

Dont know if anyone can help but any information will be greatfully recieved.

Currantly the ABS light is not going out as it should, so far ive plugged in a snap on diagnostic tool and it isnt connecting to show me what the fault is.

as the diagnostic tool didnt work i have tried a blink test (which involves putting a wire in the diagnostic port and grounding it out which makes the ABS light blink)

this also havent worked

So can anyone please help me

thanks Stee1fm

jackherer

I've never worked on ABS in a 205 (apart from ripping it out) but normally in other cars I've worked on its a sensor thats failed. Measure the resistance across the pins for each sensor and if they are both OK plug them back in and measure them again but at the ABS ECU plug in case its a wiring problem.

stee 1FM
I've never worked on ABS in a 205 (apart from ripping it out) but normally in other cars I've worked on its a sensor thats failed. Measure the resistance across the pins for each sensor and if they are both OK plug them back in and measure them again but at the ABS ECU plug in case its a wiring problem.

i'v already measured from plug to sensor and it's fine. but i'll try sensor to ECU.

thanks for the help

stee1fm

ade 4wd

Check both ABS fuses in the shunt box in the engine bay, should be 15A and 30A.

To read fault codes, switch on ignition then connect a wire from the ABS diagnostic plug and connect to ground for 3 seconds. ABS warning lamp on dash should start flashing.

Ade,

2-Pugs

Hi Stee

As Ade_4wd said, keep trying the built in fault code readout. Otherwise you don't know where to start. It can be temperamental though but keep at it. Count the flashes and make a note of them. If that doesn't work, all I can suggest is check all the obvious connectors for moisture or corrosion, etc. Otherwise, you're going to need a multimeter, a wiring diagram, and some patience unfortunately. If you want the schematics to work through, give me a call and I will email them to you.

Rob

Russ_T

Can anyone share any details of getting the abs diagnostics output to go please?

My abs light is these days on constantly and it doesn't work, and I've my MOT tomorrow (doh). I've tried removing fuses to disable it, but either lose everything (fuse in glovebox) or make no difference (fuse box at front of engine bay). About to try disconnecting the abs ecu see if that hides it, if not I have to remove the clocks and kill the bulb :( Ultimately I'd just like to get it working, although I'm not a big fan of 205 abs, seems a bit rubbish.

Thanks

ade 4wd

Removing the ABS warning bulb will result in an MOT fail as the pump and modulator are still in the system. You might get lucky if the ABS system isnt spotted during the MOT test. The 205 ABS system is basic and only has sensors on both front wheels. Check the fuses in the shunt box in the engine bay and also check the wheel sensors. There is a two pin connector for each wheel sensor in the engine bay, dissconnect and measure the resistance.

Russ_T

Ade,

Yeah, I'm hoping he doesn't spot that the light doesn't come on :-/

Oh sounds simple enough, thanks. My MOT guy spent a lot of time (money) last year trying to sort it and didn't get anywhere, but I'll check the resistance and give everything a good cleanup ta. I had checked the fuses and seemed ok.

Your RWD project sounds very interesting. I don't suppose you have a 4wd one as per your name? I saw a guy do a 4wd Mk1 golf once and it was great. Do you have any build threads on your cars?

Cheers

ade 4wd

I did build a 4wd 205 a few years back. It used the engine and running gear from an mi16x4. I still have all the modified parts.

The V6 mid engined 205 is going slow but is making steady progress. I will do a build thread when i have done a bit more.

pug_ham

Just for reference, from autodata;

post-71-0-83253100-1338993890_thumb.jpg

post-71-0-25099600-1338993909_thumb.jpg

post-71-0-78914300-1338993924_thumb.jpg

post-71-0-36733500-1338994286_thumb.jpg

post-71-0-93898500-1338994307_thumb.jpg

post-71-0-24367200-1338994317_thumb.jpg

g

Russ_T

ade: I never knew such things existed, and now with a bit of googling that's my evening written off looking at 4wd conversion... one day!! Looking forward to the rwd car as well, good luck.

pug_ham: that's superb, thank you very much indeed. If / when I get the car back I'll be able to sort it out properly (or junk the system) ... :) Thank you