• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
GeorgeXS

Dab Radio Problems

GeorgeXS

Hi I recently bought a Sony CDX-DAB6650 radio for the 205, everything works perfectly except i cannot receive any DAB signal.

Now i know there is signal at my house as my dad has the same radio in his van and his works fine all around the local area.

I bought a new aerial for it as the one sold with it was a bodged mess that would never work and still wont receive any signal.

I've tried all the possible settings that should make it work and am now stumped for ideas.

Any suggestions???

Henry Yorke

Is the standard aerial DAB compliant? I know you need a different household aerial for Freeview digital

GeorgeXS
Is the standard aerial DAB compliant? I know you need a different household aerial for Freeview digital

The DAB aerial is a completely seperate unit,

http://www.dabonwheels.co.uk/AFAR_Amplifie...ar_aerial_.html

This is the one ive just bought for it. Plugs into a totally different socket to a standard aerial

CaptainK

From experience I know thats rubbish, don't listen to the sales spiel they give - they just want more of your money. You can use a normal TV aerial for Freeview. My house's main aerial is a standard old analogue aerial on the roof and it gives a good picture on freeview (same with my parents, though they have Sky now). Likewise my sister has a tv in her room (same house) with a VERY old loop aerial off an old CRT TV on it for her freeview digital and the picture is very good. In actual fact she gets a much better picture on the simple loop aerial than she did with a very expensive "Approved Freeview Digital" aerial that was powered by the mains and had signal boosters in. Same with my brother (different house) and my parents second tv - all use old analogue aerials for their Freeview Digital.

CaptainP

George if it's the same radio in your Dad's van could you possibly try it in his van? It's possible you may have a faulty radio receiver :/

GeorgeXS
George if it's the same radio in your Dad's van could you possibly try it in his van? It's possible you may have a faulty radio receiver :/

That had occured to me but he doesnt seem happy as apparently it was a pig to fit in the van, we'll see though i may swing him round to it

Super Josh

What aerial is your Dad using for his?

That type of internal glass mount aerial is known to be pretty s*ite TBH. The aerial really needs to be outside the car to work well as the glass really attenuates the signal :P . FWIW I bought an external 'bee sting' type amplified DAB/AM/FM aerial for my 205 and that works really well.

I would try it in your Dad's van first, as has been suggested above, to at least rule out the radio :)

Josh

GeorgeXS
What aerial is your Dad using for his?

That type of internal glass mount aerial is known to be pretty s*ite TBH. The aerial really needs to be outside the car to work well as the glass really attenuates the signal :P . FWIW I bought an external 'bee sting' type amplified DAB/AM/FM aerial for my 205 and that works really well.

I would try it in your Dad's van first, as has been suggested above, to at least rule out the radio :)

Josh

Dad's using the supplied internal glass mount aerial and tbh it works quite well around here, only cuts out when he gets well up the dales.

One thing i had thought of, the aerial instructions said that any metallised, reflective coated or heated screens would not work with the aerial, the bronze tint on the 205's windows might be interferring (sp?) with the signal?

jackherer

I doubt its the windscreen, I've never had a problem with any 205s even with heated front screens fitted but my Citroen C5 has a coated screen and my GPS wont work in it.