• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest madhops87

Trackday Brake Setup

Guest madhops87

Hi everyone this is my first post so be kind!

Ive bought myself a G reg 1.9 gti with the view of turning it into a track car. I did one in my 350z and am properly hooked.

As it stands I havent touched the brakes. Its running green stufff pads at the moment which I was going to change for pagids or ferodo. What would you guys recommend?

How about discs? Are new standards good enough or should I be looking at Brembos? I was going to stick with standard calipers.

Was also thinking about braided hoses. Sorry for the dumb question, but has my car got ABS??

Am I even doing the right thing to start with brakes? I figured that and suspention would be the best place to start.

Any help would be appreciated. I really have no idea what Im doing! This seemed like a good idea and Im eager to learn everything I can.

Hannah.

welshpug

If its a standard engine then some fresh brake fluid and decent pads should be more than sufficient.

its very rare for a 205 to have ABS, so I'd hazard a guess that it wont have.

As for what people recommend its all down to personal preference as much as what works, what suits your driving style etc, many variables!

Also a search of the forums brings up several threads - results for +brakes +uprated and rsults for +pads +uprated

a lot of the results for the two search criteria will be the same threads, have fun :)

Edited by welshpug

Tom Fenton

It sounds to me like you are well on the right lines. I would personally choose Ferodo pads from previous experience, braided hoses are also a good idea, although be warned that this may involve additional expense as unless they have been replaced, the majority of the rest of the solid brake lines may be well corroded in place and will need to be destroyed to get them apart.

mmt

Welcome to the forum.

I have used >Tarox g88 discs and tarox pads, braided hoses, some racing fluid and a brake bias adjuster.

Recently I upgraded to 307 brakes as the car is used in racing and I dont like fading brakes. For track day this upgrade would in my opinion be overkill. Behold that the std. 307 discs weighs more than the 205 discs.(unless you spend all your money on discs with alu bells).

Don´t forget to bleed the system after every outing.

Have fun