• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
blippi

Problem With Clocks

blippi

hi every1 my phase 1 CTI is having probs :rolleyes: the clocks are making a loud whirring noise thats the best way i can descibe it, the speedo arm has always wobbled a lot but has got worse with this noise needle is now jumping between 50-100 lol

Anyways guessing its the clocks goosed? Do all 205 clocks fit? Are there nicer 1's to fit? any info and advice is appreciated

chrisj21

That would be your speedo cable that's had it, that's all.

I picked one up from gsf for around £10.

Here's a good topic regarding changing it click

Chris

blippi
That would be your speedo cable that's had it, that's all.

I picked one up from gsf for around £10.

Here's a good topic regarding changing it click

Chris

thx m8 appreciated is there a way of changing the lighting colour whilst the clocks are out of the car? orange looks dated so was thinkin white would make it look fresher an less dated without being to chav

yeti-dj
thx m8 appreciated is there a way of changing the lighting colour whilst the clocks are out of the car? orange looks dated so was thinkin white would make it look fresher an less dated without being to chav

all you could do is change all the bulbs to another colour but not sure this would do much, might want to try just a few before changing the lot to no effect

pug_ham

Forum rules, general posting guidelines;

when asking questions or making replies, make full use of vocabulary and grammar

which means that "txt spk" and "CAPS LOCK" (aka shouting) will not be tolerated.

all you could do is change all the bulbs to another colour but not sure this would do much, might want to try just a few before changing the lot to no effect

That wouldn't work, the bulbs are already white with the backplate for the dials coloured orange so imo changing the bulb colour wouldn't make much difference.

Graham.

SurGie
Red seems to work well enough.

chrisj21

That would make sense as putting red bulbs behind an orange filter would make the orange glow darker, almost red. Putting white bulbs behind would make it glow brighter if not the same orange.

The standard clocks are very good, the suit the car well.

McDude
orange looks dated

Of course it looks dated, it's a 20 year old car! Embrace the dated nature of it, because there is no point fighting it.

I also have a wobbly speedo and it is on my 'to-do' list to change out the cable.

blippi

thanks for most of the replies :lol:

think i might give the red one's a go, an i am embracing the retro nature of driving a 24year old car but a few subtle modifications to improve it without ruining the standard look is my aim ;):)

blippi
That wouldn't work, the bulbs are already white with the backplate for the dials coloured orange so imo changing the bulb colour wouldn't make much difference.

Graham.

Forum rules, general posting guidelines;

when asking questions or making replies, make full use of vocabulary and grammar

which means that "txt spk" and "CAPS LOCK" (aka shouting) will not be tolerated.

just to point out isn't IMO shortened text speak? :lol::)

common sense is best approach you all could read and understand

Edited by blippi

jackherer
just to point out isn't IMO shortened text speak? :lol:;)

No, its an acronym.

davey205

do they all wobble at >30 mph or is it just the 2 ive had plus my mums diesel.

DrSarty
do they all wobble at >30 mph or is it just the 2 ive had plus my mums diesel.

Original equipment (OE) speedo cables are much better than most aftermarket ones. It's worth the extra money from a main dealer to avoid the ballache of replacing the cable, as it involves taking the clocks out.

I've had aftermarket ones start flickering after a week; it's to do with the heat from the exhaust baking the inside of the cable.

You can revitalise a cable by getting some lube down it, but that requires removal of the cable anyway, so you may as well fit a new one. A properly working one should be pretty rock solid. :)

Blippi>

It could be possible that your speedo cable has just popped out of the back of the speedo. But in my experience when it starts bouncing wildly AND making a funny whirring/clicking sound it needs replacing. I'm sure your clocks are fine.

Also: don't fight the forum matey. 'M8' and 'thx' and other stuff like that is just something we don't like on this forum. Heaps of LOLs aren't really our cup of tea either. Go with the flow, like a twig on the shoulders of a mighty stream. :rolleyes:

Edited by DrSarty

SurGie

Nicely put Rich :)

blippi
Original equipment (OE) speedo cables are much better than most aftermarket ones. It's worth the extra money from a main dealer to avoid the ballache of replacing the cable, as it involves taking the clocks out.

I've had aftermarket ones start flickering after a week; it's to do with the heat from the exhaust baking the inside of the cable.

You can revitalise a cable by getting some lube down it, but that requires removal of the cable anyway, so you may as well fit a new one. A properly working one should be pretty rock solid. ;)

Blippi>

It could be possible that your speedo cable has just popped out of the back of the speedo. But in my experience when it starts bouncing wildly AND making a funny whirring/clicking sound it needs replacing. I'm sure your clocks are fine.

Also: don't fight the forum matey. 'M8' and 'thx' and other stuff like that is just something we don't like on this forum. Heaps of LOLs aren't really our cup of tea either. Go with the flow, like a twig on the shoulders of a mighty stream. :)

thanks for the information mate