• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
james_pug

1.6 And 1.9 Gti Hubs

james_pug

I know that there different but is there a way to tell which is which?

I've had a search but didn't find much, thanks James.

Anthony

1.6 hubs have more offset and have have a smaller spline fitment than 1.9 hubs.

Sergio205
1.6 hubs have more offset and have have a smaller spline fitment than 1.9 hubs.

Will 1.6 front brake discs fit 1.9 hubs if used with aftermarket 4-pot calipers?

pug_ham
Will 1.6 front brake discs fit 1.9 hubs if used with aftermarket 4-pot calipers?

No, the depth of the disc is to much & it hits the caliper mounts before its sat on the drive flange fully.

An easy way to tell 1.9 hubs from base or 1..6 GTI hubs is by the driveflange.

On 1.9 hubs it has a slot across the edge, see this picture.

Unfortunately its hard to tell the difference between base model & 1.6 hubs without the 1.6 disc to hand because the driveflange has a solid edge.

Graham.

Sergio205
No, the depth of the disc is to much & it hits the caliper mounts before its sat on the drive flange fully.

An easy way to tell 1.9 hubs from base or 1..6 GTI hubs is by the driveflange.

On 1.9 hubs it has a slot across the edge, see this picture.

Unfortunately its hard to tell the difference between base model & 1.6 hubs without the 1.6 disc to hand because the driveflange has a solid edge.

Graham.

I have base model hubs; will try to fit 1.6 discs on them as far as I mistakenly bought ones already ^_^((( having 15X7 wheels with ET12 I think that the extra 10 mm which I get if install 1.6 discs with spacers will be too wide :)((

jaked

Hi,

I hope you don't mind me hi-jacking your thread, but I'm genuinely confused about my hubs, and thought it was better than starting another hub thread!

I've bought a part-complete project, I've taken the hubs off the car, removed the bearings (to change them), and just realised one of the hubs (well, what I think is the flange part - with the splines inside??) has the slots/cut outs, but the other doesn't. How can I tell what I have. I don't know how to check the offset. Should I try the flange with the driveshafts, but what I think is the flange is now seperate from the hub...is this right?

Sorry if the above doesn't make any sense, I'll try and take some pictures

Cheers

Jake

edit: oh, and it's an xs, which I'm going for a 1.6 hub and disc set up on (with 1.6 or 1.9 calipers). I'm wondering whether to just revert back to base hubs, and use 1.9 discs/calipers! Why is never straight forward!

Edited by jaked

pug_ham

Jake, it sounds like you have a mix of hubs if one has the slots in the drive flange & one doesn't.

First thing to check is if the flange you have out of the hub fits both of your driveshafts properly, if you have a mix of a 1.9 & base model hub it will be loose on one of them or won't fit one.

If it fits them both OK then it is also possible you have one 1.9 & a 306 hubs as some of these also have the solid flange edge.

Either way you want to get a known set of hubs for your car imo, either base or 1.6 hubs but if your swapping the hubs just to fit vented discs, the discs from a 1.9 GTI fit straight onto base model hubs (which are also far more plentiful in scrapyards) with either 1.6 or 1.9 calipers.

Graham.

DamirGTI

Few pics of the 1.6 hub and 1.6/1.9 shaft ends :

IMG_1564resized.jpg

IMG_1558resized.jpg

IMG_1562resized.jpg

IMG_1566resized.jpg

1.6 shaft :

IMG_1571resized.jpg

1.9 shaft :

IMG_1572resized.jpg

Damir :)

pug_ham

Damir, the hub pictures are of a 1.9 hub imo, 1.6 hubs don't have the notch you can see in your pictures.

IMG_1562resized.jpg

Graham.

DamirGTI

No , Graham , this one on the pic is a genuine 1.6 hub :) i'm 100% sure .. removed a pair of these ones from my Ph1 1.6 car ..

Damir :)

Edited by DamirGTI

pug_ham
No , Graham , this one on the pic is a genuine 1.6 hub :rolleyes: i'm 100% sure .. removed a pair of these ones from my Ph1 1.6 car ..

Damir :angry:

OK, your car must be a different spec to the UK ones in that case imo, every 1.6 GTI hub I've seen doesn't have the slots shown in your pics.

They are only found on 1.9 hubs in the UK.

Main test is the driveshaft spline size but what ever size they are, don't mix & match on the front imo as the track width / disc offest is different between hubs so you'd have a different disc each side.

Graham.

DamirGTI

Yes :rolleyes: base models hubs are same as 1.6's with regards to the driveshaft spline size :) i have a pair of base ones too but the hub offset on them is way narrower than on this 1.6's on the pic .. it's obvious , no measurements needed (such as in the case if the base model hubs are possibly pressed inside 1.6 stub axle ..) .. and it's simply impossible to fit 1.6 discs ..

Damir B)

Edited by DamirGTI