• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest lion_lady_lu

Steering Lock Fix

Guest lion_lady_lu

Hi there

'Scuse the lack of technical terminology, blonde female posting!

I've just bought my Gentry and I'm well pleased with her, apart from the steering lock doesn't work, which is a bit of a pain. The bottom part of the steering column housing looks like it's been taken off too at some point as it's not perfectly aligned. I asked the seller and they said they hadn't noticed any problems - don't they always?!

If I replace the ignition barrel would this somehow make the steering lock work again? And if not, is this an easy (and reatively cheap!) fix to get done at a garage?

Anthony

Are you sure the steering lock doesn't work? You often need to twist the steering wheel around a fair way to engage it.

Otherwise, the steering lock is bolted to the back of the ignition barrel and will usually be attached to a second hand barrel - pretty easy and straight forward to change.

Guest lion_lady_lu
Are you sure the steering lock doesn't work? You often need to twist the steering wheel around a fair way to engage it.

Otherwise, the steering lock is bolted to the back of the ignition barrel and will usually be attached to a second hand barrel - pretty easy and straight forward to change.

Nah, I'm sure it doesn't work - but I'll get a man to double-check for me! :)

So, I've got my Haynes and I can see how to change the ignition barrel - but are you saying that a second-hand barrel will solve the problem, or is there something else I would need to do, e.g. bolt the steering lock to the replacement barrel?

Anthony

Usually a second hand barrel with will have the steering lock attached to it - you can just unscrew this, and screw it onto your current barrel if needs be.

Probably worth removing your current ignition barrel first and seeing whether the steering lock is attached, and if it is, whether it's locking or not - it's pretty obvious how it works when you've got the barrel and lock out :)