• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
dodsworth_gti

Rear Arb 24mm Problems

dodsworth_gti

i bought a 24mm rear arb from 205 parts a couple of years ago for my mi16,worked a treat but didnt ever really bite into the stock end plates very well at all,just come to put it in my steelie and the god damn thing wont bite the end plate at all,but strange thing is one end bite lovely and the other doesnt??????

just wondered if anyone else had accoured this problem??? or was it just a bad example and been machined wrong on one end??

i dont want to have to shell out for another so if any one has suggestions that would be great

i was thinking about putting the end plate and bar together,and drilling through the whole lot in one go,then knock a tapered steel rod through then trim it up nice

please help :)

ben

Baz

Are you fitting it the right way? Keep trying the endplate moving it round, they can be a PITA, but usually there's one spot it'll fit well, the same as standard ones. Hence the little notch on the end of the standard ones.

dodsworth_gti

there isnt no right way on this one mate haha

i can spin the end plate a full 360 with minimal effort!

also to add i tried 3 different end plates on this particular end!

Edited by dodsworth_gti

Tom Fenton

I have shortened 306 GTI rear anti roll bars by cutting and welding with good results, if you do it right they will last and not crack.

dodsworth_gti

sounds good to me,but when ive got 130 quids worth of arb sat here that i got robbed for,i might aswell use it hahaha

just need to figure a way of stopping it spinning in the end plate

suppose if you have cut and welded them,then i should be able to get one to hald pretty well with a rod,or even welding the end plate onto the bar at one end???

Baz
there isnt no right way on this one mate haha

i can spin the end plate a full 360 with minimal effort!

also to add i tried 3 different end plates on this particular end!

All 205 ones? :P Sounds like they're 306 ones on 205 splines or something!

Anthony

There's two different sized ARB end plates, and if you try using the larger of the two on the smaller splined end of the ARB, it will do exactly what you're experiencing.

The 205Parts supplied antiroll bars were fine and I'm still running the very first prototype in my 205 without issue which has probably covered 20-25k miles now. They can be a bit sensitive to worn ARB end plate splines and feel a touch loose compared to the OE one, but never really seems to cause an issue.

dodsworth_gti
There's two different sized ARB end plates, and if you try using the larger of the two on the smaller splined end of the ARB, it will do exactly what you're experiencing.

The 205Parts supplied antiroll bars were fine and I'm still running the very first prototype in my 205 without issue which has probably covered 20-25k miles now. They can be a bit sensitive to worn ARB end plate splines and feel a touch loose compared to the OE one, but never really seems to cause an issue.

sorry it might have come across i was slating them,i really wasnt :)

2 different sized ends?? why the chuff would they do that :lol:

the splines in all the end plates i have seem pretty good to me,how would i know if i have the larger one???

seems very strange that one end fits perfectly,and the other is completely wrong,yet i can mix the combo up on 2 standard bars and they are all perfect fit

baz,its confusing me dont worry :lol:

Anthony

Much like torsion bars, anti-roll bars have different sized splines* at each end, and hence there's two different sized ARB end plates to match. The smaller spline on the ARB with the end plate sized for the larger spline allows the ARB to slip.

The 205Parts ARB's were designed to be the same as OE bars, in that they have one smaller and one larger spline. If the splines don't appear damaged (it's pretty obvious when the splines have been rounded off) then it might be worth trying the end plate from the end that does fit on the one that doesn't - I'm wondering if the engineering place screwed up and put two smaller splines on, or something silly like that.

If it was OK on the previous car, and now the splines don't engage, chances are the fault is related to something that has changed - which logically, suggests the ARB end plates.

* there's also the issue of 205/309 splines being smaller than 106/306 splines, but that's outside the scope of this post.

pug_ham
2 different sized ends?? why the chuff would they do that :)

the splines in all the end plates i have seem pretty good to me,how would i know if i have the larger one???

Left hand & right hand end plates, different size on all Pug rear arbs afaik (206, 306, 405, 406 ZX ones are the same as well).

If you still have the standard 205 arb with no end plates on see if it fits nicely on one end but is either loose or doesn't fit the other end to find out if you have.

Graham.

davidc
I have shortened 306 GTI rear anti roll bars by cutting and welding with good results, if you do it right they will last and not crack.

What diameter are the 306 GTi a.r.b.'s ?

Cheers,

David

Alastairh

24mm.

dodsworth_gti
I'm wondering if the engineering place screwed up and put two smaller splines on, or something silly like that.

this is what i was thinking,and maybe i had 2 small end plates on the mi16

so ill go and have a go at swapping and mixing them up intill i find a suitable end plate i guess

many thanks for all the input guys :ph34r: