• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
fatony1

Gti-6 Discs...

fatony1

Do these discs look like a good buy?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/306-GTi-6-405-T16-TU...=item45ee30bf02

Going for GTI-6 brakes on my 205 and im buying new discs rather than slapping used ones on there! Anyones thoughts on these discs? Or should i stay away from the cheaper stuff on ebay and get some standard fronts from Peugeot?

Tom Fenton

I've not used those so can't comment on how good or not they are.

However for similar money you can buy Brembo discs from GSF that I and plenty of others have used, and have found to be pretty decent quality.

shalmaneser

I reckon solid discs are the way to go unless you spend megabucks on really decent drilled items. grooves and things look nice but can be pain in the arse IMO.

certainly with gti-6 stoppers you won't be wanting for more braking power!

jorg

I have been looking around for GTi-6 discs too and I think I will be getting mine from Euro Car Parts. I know they don't do the Brembos that GSF do but the price difference is quite substantial. These are for solid vented not grooved.

GSF total for two discs (Brembo) including delivery: £74.03

ECP total for two discs (Pagid) including delivery: £44.24

I am not too sure on the difference in quality between the makes but at a £30 saving I know where I am going.

pablo

Pagid should be dead on. I bought a set of discs and pads off ebay once for a 320d. Mintex they were. I think they were fakes as the pads only lasted 500 miles. Never again would I buy brakes like that off ebay unless I trusted the seller.

Rippthrough
Pagid should be dead on. I bought a set of discs and pads off ebay once for a 320d. Mintex they were. I think they were fakes as the pads only lasted 500 miles. Never again would I buy brakes like that off ebay unless I trusted the seller.

Wouldn't be the first time, I can remember a few years back police raided a warehouse that was selling brake pads on ebay that were actually made from compressed cardboard and woodchippings IIRC.

pablo

Can imagine, wasnt like it was a sports car either it was a family estate lol. Was kinda scary when I saw them removed.

Alastairh

I know the feeling. I have snapped a brake pad in half under 100 mph braking before even though they are 'performance' items :)

Al

Edited by Alastairh

CaptainK

You can't go wrong with the GTi6 GSF Brembo discs and Ferodo DS2500 combination, which oddley enough I have on my 205.

Just pay attention to the GSF dealer and make sure you supply them with the part number for the 283mm GTi6 discs as they tried to give me the smaller normal 2 Litre discs as they said "the gti6 is a 2L as well ain't it?".

fatony1

Sorry to bring this back up, but it turns out my car already had 283mm discs but with conversion brackets to use the standard calipers! So im just going to get some GTI6 calipers. I used to work in a motorfactors so i get a good price on Ferodo pads, is DS2500 the actual part number for GTI6 pads? Or is it just the range/line of better performance pads? Its been a while... :)

Cheers :)

welshpug

thats just the pad material not the part number :)

not sure what the ferodo part number is byt Mintrex's part number for that pattern is MDB 1732

pug_ham

No, DS2500 is the pad model with a better performance friction material, similar to fitting Mintex 1144's etc.

Graham.

fatony1

Will the Mintex 1144s be ok for fast road use? Just popped down to my old work and my old guv said the 1144s are a very hard material, and might squeak/not perform well on a daily driver?

DrSarty
Will the Mintex 1144s be ok for fast road use? Just popped down to my old work and my old guv said the 1144s are a very hard material, and might squeak/not perform well on a daily driver?

They're fine for a daily driver. Even Ferodo DS2500s are, even though they say for 'race use only' on them.

But bear in mind, this is our '205 GTI daily driver' usage, which is a bit different from Margaret nipping down to Costco in her 106 Zest.

EDIT> My mate told me the other day that Police spec pads are Mintex 1144s. This was for Vauxhall and VW/Skoda Police cars BTW. They can be bought over the counter, but don't come in Mintex boxes. :lol:

Edited by DrSarty

Daviewonder

I work for a motor factors and we supply the local police with their brake pads, they use Ferodo Premier so I would recomend them. Afaik the ferodo premier part no for GTI6 pads is FDB999.