• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
one-lady-owner

Handbrake Sticking On Both Sides

one-lady-owner

Right, here goes!!

I noticed this morning the car felt a little sluggish, when manoeuvring at slow speeds the rear end dipped when going forward, then settled back, and raised whilst reversing and then settled when I came to a stop, it's definitely not just one side (that's the odd part, I would have thought if the weather had caused the cable to seize or a piston to start sticking it would only do it on one side!!)

I had to drive home from work (didn't fancy being stuck there!) and after about a mile the brakes freed up and the car drove normally.

The pedal has felt normal throughout and it hasn't effected the braking force, even when they were dragging!!

welshpug

may well be the cold weather affecting both cables if they are a few years old, does sound like it if they freed off after a little while.

one-lady-owner

I have no evidence of replacement in 217k worth of history so I think I'll stick some new ones in at the weekend! Just thought it was unusual for both to go sticky at the same time!

one-lady-owner

Having just had a look, the difference in price between ECP, and main stealer (according to citroen service box) is about £6 per side, would anyone say it's worth spending the extra?

welshpug

They're about £8.50 each from GSF I think, I have fitted several sets from them without issue, one set to my Brothers 306 DTurbo about 4 years ago, and a set to mum's 405 Estate some 70k and 6 years ago, as well as a set on my 205 and ZX.

Can't comment on the ECP stuff I'm afraid.

one-lady-owner

GSF it is then! There's a branch in Swindon (which is where I'll be at the weekend anyway!)

Cheers!

one-lady-owner

I've used a couple of bricks and will be leaving the handbrake off until I change them! Although I have just seen how much pad I have left (not helped by sticking bloody cables!!) so I'll be replacing those too!

It is definitely the cables, between 6.30 and now they've seized on again, I freed them up by lying on the ground behind my car and using my heel to kick the handbrake arms, they're free now!! And just to point out, it's bloody cold outside!!!

Thanks again!

welshpug

you have discs?

ahh its a Volcane, thought like the 306 they'd be drums but I checked servicebox :)

Make sure you get the right length cables, later ones are 70mm shorter!

4745 F6 HANDBRAKE CABLE LEFT LONG 1618 - REAR DISCS UNTIL RPO No. 07330

4745 F9 RIGHT LONG 1540 - REAR DISCS UNTIL RPO No. 07330

Edited by welshpug

one-lady-owner

Ah yes, sorry, probably one of those bits of info that would have been helpful! :lol: Good man! I'll probably whip one or both of them out before I head up there, then I can compare length at the counter! Too many bad experiences with motor factors to trust them guessing!!

And yes it is a volcane, which means decent suspension, and bloody rear discs!! Annoying to work on and useless for locking the rear wheels whilst enjoying the icy conditions (on private roads..... ahem :blink: )

welshpug

mine works well, new cables :lol:

as well as proper peugeot pads, pair of new compensators and a whole roll of brake pipe!

there is a left and right as you can see above :blink:

Edited by welshpug

one-lady-owner

Ah, the key is the cables!! And the new proper pads, compensators etc..... I think I'll stick to using both hands on the handbrake and letting the steering correct itself, which it really isn't very good at..... :blink: