• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
zebedy101

Rear Beam End Plate

zebedy101

Evening all.

I had my 205 up on the ramp at work and removed my n/s/r wheel only to find this?

b0d8825c.jpg

I'm not overly worried due to the fact i have a new beam going on it, on the 25th. But what a want to know is how dangerous is this? It feels fine on corners and i have been taking it easy but should I be worried about it at all?

Many thanks. Seb

miamichris

Has that actually snapped?? :ph34r:

Feck me that can't be good, your anti roll bar will be doing nothing surely? :rolleyes:

jord294

that brake cable is on the wrong side iirc

from what i recall. all o/s cables have the blue sleeve

Anthony

Jesus, never seen one of those snap - normally just snaps the M8 bolt or (particularly on 306 beams) strips the splines off the end of the anti-roll bar :rolleyes:

As said, your anti-roll bar won't be doing a great deal anymore, but it's not going to be immediately dangerous IMO

Was only one side of the car jacked up when that picture was taken, or is the beam siezed or something? There looks to be massive preload on that ARB in that picture judging by the difference in position between the two pieces - with both wheels in the air, there should be no preload on the ARB, whereas on yours it looks to be 10+ degrees out

zebedy101

Yep it's rotted through and snapped. You can feel it but it's not that bad suprisingly, the beam is fubar anyway to be honest I hadn't realised it was that bad till I had the wheels off it the other day, the beam sits stupidly high though i think once upon a time maybe someone lowered it then it was later put back up?

The handbrake cables could well be the wrong way round, they are getting changed for new ones when the new beam goes on.

zebedy101

Both the wheels were off at the time as it was having new tyres put on. The beam has always been a little questionable I will find a picture of how high the rear is.

Thanks for all the speedy replies.

zebedy101

It looks worse when you look at it in the flesh. Is there a chance it could have at some point been swapped for a lower model rear beam?

35fa5407.jpg

Daviewonder

Sometimes people get the rear highered if the car is used for towing, has it ever had a towbar fitted?

welshpug

That looks even higher than Goliath's base model beam :rolleyes:

Quite possible its a lower spec beam, have you checked the torsion bars and the diameter of the ARB?

zebedy101

As far as I can see it's never had a towbar. I haven't measured the arb or the torsion bars but it wouldn't suprise me if the beam was a base model item, the arms are well and truely stuck too the torsion bars though.