• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Bassman

Rear Beam Re-assembly

Bassman

Hi,

In the process of finally re-assembling my beam.

I had a go tonight at slipping the first stub axle into the main tube and found it got stuck about two inches out (well before the outer bearing was engaged).

I am assuming that it must be the end of the shaft contacting the inner bearing and not lining up properly, but before I end up smacking it with a luimp hammer, is there a technique to sliding in the shafts? Should they be a tight fit on the inner bearing?

I could probably use the arb to pull them in, but thought I would get some advice first!

Thanks

Rob

shalmaneser

it got stuck?! Mine were fine, just slid right in?

Are the bearings all square?

Bassman
it got stuck?! Mine were fine, just slid right in?

Are the bearings all square?

I haven't changed the inner bearings, I will have to have a look in the morning and get a torch in there. Might be there is some debris in the way.

jimistdt

You are talking about trailing arm shafts. They need absolutely zero interaction with a hammer. :lol:

Normally its just a case of jiggling the trailing arm, and as it clears the inner bearing it should then slide all the way in.

Is it an old beam you are just putting back together? Ideally if it's a rebuild you'd want to change both sets of bearings for new.

Any chance of a pic so we can see where you are with it?

Bassman
You are talking about trailing arm shafts. They need absolutely zero interaction with a hammer. :lol:

Normally its just a case of jiggling the trailing arm, and as it clears the inner bearing it should then slide all the way in.

Is it an old beam you are just putting back together? Ideally if it's a rebuild you'd want to change both sets of bearings for new.

Any chance of a pic so we can see where you are with it?

Thanks, that's what I needed to know.

I will have another look in the morning and it is probably just an alignment issue. With all the weight of the trailing arms hanging to one side, I probably haven't quite got the shafts aligned to get them into the inner bearings.

Thanks

Rob

Bassman

Turns out it was the outer bearing gripping.

I had matched the oilite plain bearings to the shafts before I pressed the bearings in and they have obviously tightened up a little and need honing again!

Time to order some more stones for my Draper honing tool.

Thanks

Rob