• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
craig_007

1600 Bendix Calipers On 1900 Hubs

craig_007

As a follow on to a previous post,I'm trying to get the weight of my car down and thought I would try with the unsprung weight to start !

I've just a got a set of C5 wheels with R888 and they are 3.5kg a side lighter than my 15" standard rims.

My car currently has GTI6 brakes but require discs and pads,Seems like a good idea now to change to something lighter,Now I've been going through some previous post and the 1600 calipers seem to be the lightest,Can I get away with bolting these calipers to my 1900 hubs and if so what discs would I require,1600 or 1900 ?

I also read another thread about lotus ap brakes,Anyone know how doable this is ?

Craig

Anthony

Yes you can use 1.6 Bendix calipers on 1.9 hubs - you'll need to use 1.9 disks.

Just make sure that the Bendix calipers are in good order, as almost all of them I see are knackered and give distinctly underwhelming braking as a result - pads that haven't worn squarely are a giveaway, as is the tale-tale "clunk" when you press the brakes going backwards.

welshpug

as Anthony said, they'll fit straight on with 1.9 discs, seems the difference between a knackered set and a good set with half decent pads is massive.

A friend that I service for runs his 1600 rally car on standard discs, standard 1.6 calipers and a set of EBC yellowstuff pads, standard 1.6 oe rears and a bias valve, never has brake issues :P

craig_007

Thanks for the replys guys.

I can get a pair of calipers that have been reconditioned for £50.

Does this seem like a logical move,Most people are usually wanting to go bigger and I'm wanting to go smaller !!

So with a decent set of pads fitted to the 1600 calipers,Would this be more than capeable of stopping my MI16 (170bhp) approx ?

The 6 brakes were excellent when used on track but when building my bike engined car weight was a big thing so I'm assuming the lighter the better with the 205 too.I reckon between the wheel change and the caliper swap I can save 20kg on the front alone !!