• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
shimmey69

205 Mi16 Rear Passenger Caliper Help

shimmey69

hi all i have been lurking for a while and getting lots of help and advice off here but this is my first post, so be gentle!!!

ok the passenger side rear caliper on my 205 has ceased we believe as took it for pre MOT check and was barely stopping at all, so my question is is there any quick fix trick i could try or if anyone has a spare set going up for grabs???

also what other vechile could i look for at scrap yard that will be the same??? as 205 gti are rarer that rocking horse in a scrappy s:censored:T

also how do you tell the difference between 309 and a 205 rear beam as i been told my rear end is a 309 but unsure??

Many thanks

Anthony

Was it just the foot (service) brake that it showed no effort on, or was the handbrake also lacking?

1.9 GTi's have one compensator per side, and these are notorious for failing - if the handbrake is showing reasonable effort and it's jsut the footbrake that isn't, then it's probably a failed compensator.

A quick way to tell is to try bleeding the rear brakes - you'll get almost no fluid out of the side with low effort if it's the compensator at fault.

309 beam is noticeably wider and has thicker torsion bars - they'll be 20mm on a 309 GTi beam, and 19mm on the 205 GTi beam. An open ended spanner over the torsion bar is a quick and easy check.

shimmey69

thank you it was the the foot brake that was lacking the handbrake was fine, how would i go about fixing this???

i will check the torsion bars

thanks

Anthony
thank you it was the the foot brake that was lacking the handbrake was fine, how would i go about fixing this???

Chances are that it just needs a replacement compensator on the side with low effort. The compensators on a 1.9 GTi are located just in front of the fuel tank underneath the car, about 4" long and sort of cylinderical in shape

shimmey69

thanks again, how would i confirm if it is the compensator or a ceased caliper???

Anthony
thanks again, how would i confirm if it is the compensator or a ceased caliper???

As per my first reply...

A quick way to tell is to try bleeding the rear brakes - you'll get almost no fluid out of the side with low effort if it's the compensator at fault.

If the handbrake works OK on the side in question it's unlikely to a a siezed caliper, but the above test will confirm.

shimmey69

many thanks iwll be out under her tommorow to change the rear pads and the brake pressure valve, and hopefully she will then fly through the MOT

anyone know qa step by step guide on how tyo change as i cant find my haynes book of lies!!!

Many Thanks

Jake

pug_ham
anyone know qa step by step guide on how tyo change as i cant find my haynes book of lies!!!

205 haynes manual pdf Its all in there. :D

I'd expect you'll need a new brake pipe from the back of the compensator at least, if your careful you can get one side apart without damaging the pipe by turning the compensator body once its undone but not both sides.

Graham.

shimmey69

many thanks, replaced the compensator and got everything back on with the origianl pipes, and took for retest and all a ok

many thanks to all