• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
burr_2000

Best Place To Find A Quick Rack/kit

burr_2000

I am on the look out for a quick rack for me pug 205, i was looking for either second hand one or a reasonably priced kit, i have tried a lot of companys and have only got two qoutes so far one from AB motorsport for £150 and TI Motorsport for £113. I dont want to convert a PAS to manual as i never liked the feel of it.

Anyone know of second hand ones or other reasoable priced companys?

woodsy

I think Skip Browns sell them although i know a few years ago they stopped as the quality of the ones they were getting wasnt that good.Maybe they have

changed supply now.I fitted one to mine and also a csutomers car good few years ago and sure i got it from midland motorsport although cant be sure.Just check to which type yours is too either square or splined wher the column goes onto rack

mxcrazy
I am on the look out for a quick rack for me pug 205, i was looking for either second hand one or a reasonably priced kit, i have tried a lot of companys and have only got two qoutes so far one from AB motorsport for £150 and TI Motorsport for £113. I dont want to convert a PAS to manual as i never liked the feel of it.

Anyone know of second hand ones or other reasoable priced companys?

Quaife? i believe they have stock at the moment.

harryskid

I got mine about six weeks ago from Quaife after spending ages trying to find a used one.It cost about £114 and it cheaper to order on line. Also as the other guy said you must get the type right. They had plenty in stock and gave very good service, i would still be looking now for a used one if i had waited.

Harryskid

mxcrazy
I got mine about six weeks ago from Quaife after spending ages trying to find a used one.It cost about £114 and it cheaper to order on line. Also as the other guy said you must get the type right. They had plenty in stock and gave very good service, i would still be looking now for a used one if i had waited.

Harryskid

The site is down at the moment for a make over by the looks of things, maybe give em a call.

omega

isnt the "cheap "way to fit a xasra rack?

burr_2000

Cheers for the input guys,

Does the xsara rack not have the little bit of play associated with removing the PAS though?

welshpug

you can dial that out if you feel the need, I don't know the full details of how to do it but I know Rippthrough has done it on his :(

EdCherry

But in the end fitting a good PAS rack and eliminating the play costs just as much as a quick rack... know what one id rather go for!

welshpug

If you buy a pas rack off here then almost definitely ed :(

EdCherry

Yer but I can't be assed to go searching for a PAS rack that isn't too bad, chasing up sellers etc etc. Rather go for a purpose built job and that be the end of it....

Unless you buy the kit and have lots of fun building it :(

andyjstone

But I don't think even a converted PAS rack is as quick as a proper quick rack - from memory I think the Quaife is 2.7 and the PAS rack 3.5 lock to lock.

I'm going for a Quaife as soon as I can be arsed to get under the car and see what type I have :(

Edited by andyjstone

Anthony

PAS is 3.2 turns lock-to-lock, but yes, granted, not as quick as a "proper" quickrack.

petert

I thought the PAS racks were 2.7 and the quick racks 2.2? In Australia we have two types of PAS racks. Those fitted to the 1.9L GTi and those fitted to the 1.6L Si. Maybe the 1.9L racks are 3.2 (4000 62) and the 1.6L racks are 2.7 (4000 57)?

Dial out what? All you need do is take off the ram and block up ports. You'll need the lower section of the steering column though, as the PAS pinion is higher.

mxcrazy

Am i right in thinking there is a splined type and a square/flatted type fitting?

If so Quaife have more of the splined type in stock at the moment, helps when your dads the storeman.

What type of fitting is the VTS rack?

Rippthrough

VTS rack is 2.6 lock-to-lock.

24seven

I'm looking at getting a quicker rack for my car as the standard non PAS rack is far FAR too long! How much should I expect to pay for a Xsara rack from a scrappy? They seem to be selling for around £100 on here, so for an extra £14 I'll go with a proper job and save messing around getting it to fit. How long is the standard non PAS rack on our cars?

24seven

Is there an easy way to tell whether I've got the spline or flat drive pinion based on year/model etc, or are they just hit/miss as to which one you get?

Baz

Basically you need to have a look, as the majority of later cars have the splined, and the earlier the square, but you can't really ever tell for sure without looking as you never know that they haven't been changed etc!

IMO a De-PAS'd rack is sublime, and is just about right for a car that you still want to 'use', it doesn't make the steering silly-heavy under slow speed manoevring, and just takes away that extra half turn, one of the best mods you can do i think, i'd also consider it a safety item as when you're in that corner and the back decides to step, you can wind on that oppo alot quicker than before, just seems to give you the right amount whereas before you'd be needing more!

The proper Quik-rack on one of mine, 2.5T lock to lock although is great, you wouldn't want it on a car you do anything more than drive round in circles at speed!

24seven

Bugger. Thought so. I suppose it needs to come off anyway. Thanks.

harryskid
Basically you need to have a look, as the majority of later cars have the splined, and the earlier the square, but you can't really ever tell for sure without looking as you never know that they haven't been changed etc!

IMO a De-PAS'd rack is sublime, and is just about right for a car that you still want to 'use', it doesn't make the steering silly-heavy under slow speed manoevring, and just takes away that extra half turn, one of the best mods you can do i think, i'd also consider it a safety item as when you're in that corner and the back decides to step, you can wind on that oppo alot quicker than before, just seems to give you the right amount whereas before you'd be needing more!

The proper Quik-rack on one of mine, 2.5T lock to lock although is great, you wouldn't want it on a car you do anything more than drive round in circles at speed!

My Quaife rack at low speed is really heavy, its ok when at speed. Mines still new and i hope when its worn in a bit it might be a bit easier. It takes a bit of getting use to but its great through the corners.

Harryskid :)

swordfish210
Mines still new and i hope when its worn in a bit it might be a bit easier.

Sorry to piss on your fire but it doesnt.

harryskid

O well down to the gym then

Harryskid :)

Matt Holley

Ive got the WMM quick rack on mine, its very heavy at low speeds but great on track.