• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
matthewm

Electric Pas Or Corsa Type And Quick Rack?

matthewm

Hi Guys,

About to fit an MI16 so currently looking at either changing my 205 PAS from a mechanical pump to an electric Saxo or Clio pump, or go down the road of corsa type electric column. If I was to go with the corsa option (Fancy this as lot lighter and tidier under bonnet) then I'd defiantly want a quicker rack than the standard 205, possibly a xhara 2.4 turn to turn or a competition quick rack.

Anybody have experience of the corsa type of electric steering so I can weigh up the pro's and con's.

Cheers!

mudchute

I fitted a Vauxhall electro/hydraulic power steering motor to a V8 Capri project I had some years ago.

I think there was 3 or 4 wires, 1 of which you don't use and that was it. Silly easy and cheap as chips!

brumster

I've not tried the electric on-the-column type, but my concern from a motorsport-use perspective is that some people have told me it doesn't respond well to fast left-right-left changes (as common on rally stages through chicanes - which at slow speed are just when you need power steering!). That's from word of mouth but no experience myself; I'd like to hear from someone who can comment having used one in those conditions.

However, put that into perspective - for most road use and steady track use, it shouldn't be a problem. Given that by putting the assistance into the column rather than the rack, you can use inexpensive quick racks available for the Pug from all number of sources, it's got to be a sensible approach.

I got quoted over £800 for a 2.1 turns quick-rack with conventional power assistance. Given a non-PS quickrack is more around the £100-150 mark, and everything bar the column in then standard, they look attractive on paper.

matthewm

Cheers, must of accidentely searched whilst in a different forum section. More interested in peoples opinion of the feel of the steering rather than the actual conversion - but all advice is appreciated!