• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
mudchute

£300 To Spend...

mudchute

Hey all.

I have an 87' 1.6 gti and £300 to spend on it!

What to get though?

Regards to present spec itsall fairly standard. I've addressed some wear issues so its all prtty much tip top as well as fit some -30mm apex springs, adjusted the rear to suit, Toyo T1r tyres all round on some speedlines, 1.9 front calipers plus some decent pads on standard discs + a stiffer lower engine mount.

Its all serviced up so I can indulge in improvements rather than maintenance.

What would be best to change now?

Dampers?

Strut braces?

Poly bushes?

Gear change quick shift/brass bush mod thing?

Uprated rear beam mounts?

Whaddayareckon!

sport1901966

I'd go for the quickshift first if it was me, gives such a great feel compared to standard.

Can't comment on the polybushes from personal experience but from what I have heard they are well worth going for.

If your on standard dampers some aftermarket ones may well give a big improvement but again I'm sure someone with more experience of what to get will soon be along!

Must be a nice feeling being able to spend on upgrades knowing that it's sorted otherwise!

mudchute

T'is noice yes however, at the back of my mind I have that "its french, old and WILL go wrong again soon" feeling!!

Best treat myself while I can!

I should add that I do have some engineering and fabrication skills and facilities available that being a garage with a mill, lathe, mig & tig welders etc so making things like coilover converted struts are no bother so if you have any home brewed improvement suggestions lets have them!

I was trying to find a simple Bilstein (or similar) damper insert to make it worthwhile but to no avail or atleast not for a 205 casing (plenty of 106 ones about though?)

Baz

What do you do/want to do with it?

welshpug

better tyres and lighter wheels :)

mudchute

:) Nooooooooooooooo!!!! I'm happy with the Toyos and speedlines! The tyres were only £100 from eGay plus the wheels came with the car, they stick like poop to a blanket!

The car will only ever get driven on the road in my hands so no need to go to extremes I guess.

chris-stdt

You can make you own quick shift for pennies ,i wouldnt bother with poly bushed as the anti roll bar bushes are polyurathane as standard ,better suspension would be good

But if it was my money id just drive the 205 to the pub and spend your money there :)

jord294

personally, i'd go for quickshift and gti6 rear dampers

if you need new bushes, imho, stick with genuine peugeot parts

being a 1.6, i'd also get a clean set of 1.6 rims with tyres which suit the wet and the dry

Baz

If the standard suspension's in good fettle, and the rest of the car's fine, i'd go with the quickshift/ uprated gear linkages idea.

Then, whack a quicker rack on it, just a de-PAS'd one, and have the tracking done. It makes quite a difference!

Then maybe some decent brake fluid (5.1) and some half decent pads.

Should make a fun little car! :)

Baz

Also, is it still on 1.6 BENDix alloy front calipers? If so dependant on condition i'd consider changing them to 1.9 Girling jobs, with maybe some braided brake lines. :)

mudchute

I have the 1.9 calipers already so have that covered. The massive CLANG from the brakes when I first got it lead me to changing those! Braided hoses though, I forgot about those!!

Glad you suggested the rack idea, that had crossedy mind before, think I'll go for that!

Also, I see alot of people use gti6 dampers, why's that say instead of 205 ones?

TT205

I would go for solid rear beam mounts to get rid of the lift off oversteer and if you want to improve the handling get a bigger rear anti-roll bar - (~£150)

Baz
Also, I see alot of people use gti6 dampers, why's that say instead of 205 ones?

They're a slight upgrade in damping and are an easy & cheap swap. :lol:

kilauea

How old is the engine? Top end rebuild if you do a bit yourself.

GLPoomobile

Bit late now, but I'd have gone for Eibach 7001 springs instead of Apex. To be fair, I have no experience of Apex springs, but once you've had the Eibach's you wouldn't go back.

BusEngineer

The best mod ive made to mine was the solid rear beam mounts, less worry of lift off oversteer and much more positive turn in, less twitchy

Everybodys different tho

mudchute

Question re the engine. I have an 87 1.6, a phase 1.5 I've been told. Will that be the 115hp motor or the 105hp?

Baz

115bhp.

mudchute

Thankyou Baz, thats good news!

billybluesky

With regard to my improvent program, i`d splash a bit more and go for bilstein sprintlines(b6?) i recon they transformed the hadling on mine!