• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Tom Fenton

Lower Susp Arms

Tom Fenton

I've got a pair of 205 lower arms, very similar to standard ones, apart from the pin that fits into the hub, does not have a groove machined all the way around for the pinch bolt.

Instead it has just a single cut out so the bolt shank can fit through.

Are these something special, I seem to remember something vaguely about Group N rally arms being like this?

jimistdt

I've not seen them Tom, but wouldn't that cause alot of stress on the wishbone bush under lock?

Tom Fenton

Huh? You've lost me. I'm on about the pin that fits from the wishbone balljoint up into the hub. Instead of it having a groove machined right the way round, so the bolt can be fitted with the pin in any orientation, instead there is just a single scallop out of that pin, so it has to be in the right orientation for the pinchbolt. I've had them fitted to a car so I know they work fine. I'm sure I've seen somewhere that they were specially made for gravel cars as this pin is a weak point on gravel.

Chris H

Sounds like the proper PTS wishbone to me, should have harder rubber bushes too

jimistdt

My thinking was the hub rotates on the pin when turning, hence why it's grooved all the way around. If its scalloped like that then it must twist the bush securing the pin when applying steering lock?

I may be missing something fundamental?

Like it being a balljoint.

Got it now, going to stay quiet for a while. ;)

Edited by jimistdt

Tom Fenton

The pinch bolt nips the hub tight against the pin, so the pin rotates in the balljoint, not in the hub.

Toddy

Tom

Skip brown sell these, apparently they are group n items

hth

woodsy

One of my lower arms has this and i got it from a motor factor few years ago.I think it just depends on what make they are.

GLPoomobile

I've got one that I took off my 205. It was probably my topic about 6 months ago that you can remember when someone mentioned Grp N.

Craigb

Tom definitley group N ones , does this mean you no longer want the rose jointed ones ?

Tom Fenton

No, I still want the rose jointed, these are some I've had in the shed for about 4 years.....

pug_ham

Tom, they are the PTS Group N ones with the stronger type of balljoint pin as already said.

I've got three of them here.

Bought one pair of ebay & happened to have one I took off a car in a scrapyard a while ago which needs a new rubber boot.

Graham.

Tom Fenton

I guess they will be hitting EBAY shortly then with plenty of BS in the advert! Cheers chaps.

yippeekayay

tom they sound like the fench hubs for gravel.... not form my tarmac special days... they were GP N french hubs i think.... I thought they had a different lug for neggie camber????

yippeekayay

tom I meant I think they were arms to fit the french hubs???

Dazza

Ive got these on my 205 and thought they were different pins in the ball joints ( they are a pain in the rectum thoughts ) .....

For sale soon , poly bushed to ...

Edited by Dazza

205wrc

These sound like the PTS Group N ones.

I'm not 100% sure, but someone told me last year that these are made by QH (Quinton Hazell).

I have one here, and it's much thicker construction than a standard arm, with a notch in the pin instead of the groove. They were around £100 each. Not sure how much they are now