• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Jonny d

It Keeps Droping!

Jonny d

Hi all, i have a rather scary problem with the rear of my 205, it was lowerd on a difrent axel when i got the car, 4 months later the right hand rear droped with no warning half way round a corner :) . After some head scaching i lmped it home and inspected it. after a strugle i got the RH torsion baf off, still with the swing arm in place, and with some magor heat and a hammer got the bar off completly. there was no sign of striped splines or bends and where in the system and it all went back together ok, and sat level agean. then last night it dropped agean going round the same bend :wub: , this time sucseeding in putting me in the verge :) . this is scary and very anoying as there apers to be nothing rong with the axel or bar!!! has anybody herd of this befor?

Also should a 1.6 rear axel have a ARB??? mine dosent but also feels a bit soft!

Henry Yorke

Yes it should have an ARB. This helps keep your axle together! Sounds like it is only held toegtehr by the torsion bars which could be the problem! Dangerous.... I should say so!

Jonny d

HHHHMMMMMM :wub: . not happy with the lad that sold it then, ive had problems from the start. so where should the ARB be? as there apers to be no conections any where on the car.

Also where can i pick up a decent back axel for resonable mony?

Tom Fenton

Not 100% true Henry, some base model 205's did without an anti roll bar, and even when fitted, the anti roll bar does not really hold the beam together, as it is only secured at either end by the splined end caps that are a light press fit onto the end of the anti roll bar.

However to the original poster, a GTI beam should definitely have a rear anti roll bar, and ~19mm torsion bar diameter.

Edited by Tom Fenton

Henry Yorke

I thought the ARB had a bolt into the end of it through the end plate?

rearbeamrefurb01.jpg

This would pull both trailing arms together, or at least stop them being separated.

On base models are the trailling arms purely held on by those poxy little torsion bar bolts and friction?! Oh and the shock bolt to the chassis mount

Edit: Changed my mind totally! The thread is just there to allow you to push out the ARB and the hole in the end of the ARB has no real purpose!

I didn't realise how much the depended on friction just to stay together.

Edited by Henry Yorke

jord294
Also where can i pick up a decent back axel for resonable mony?

i have a 1.9 gti beam secondhand and in working condition, just needs your drums or hubs fitting.

£150

or

fully powdercoated and rebuilt beam £425

all brand new genuine peugeot parts used

Jonny d

Theres certanly nothing between my swing arms like pictured!!! just the small and insignificant T-bar bolts to hold the axel together :wub: . it all slides apart quite easl too, makes a change i supose :) .

jord294, the 1.9 axel sounds perfect, as mine allready has disks on the back. Is it a straight swap onto the 1.6??? (excuse my stupidity if thats a obvious question, but im a bit new to pugs!)

Thanks for all the help, jonny

jord294
jord294, the 1.9 axel sounds perfect, as mine allready has disks on the back. Is it a straight swap onto the 1.6??? (excuse my stupidity if thats a obvious question, but im a bit new to pugs!)

yes mate. straight swap.

all you'll need to do is swap over caliper brackets, stub axle pins and hubs from your beam