• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Rolando

Differences In Beams

Rolando

hello, i've decided to go ahead with rebuilding my beam after coming to the conclusion its over 20years old so what are the chances of it still being good.

i've stripped it down to find that the trailing arm shafts are no good on one side and the other is slightly pitted. not sure if that one can be reused? any advice on how bad it can be before its no good would be appreciated.

how ever theres a low mileage phase2 base model up the scrapyard that i can have the beam for £10. so my question is, are the trailing arm shafts the same through out the 205 range?

i know that there might be a chance that they could be rubbish as well but its only a tenner

thanks

jimistdt

Yes you can make a GTi beam out of the two, the shafts are identical in the crucial areas throughout the 205 range.

If the beam tube is showing any signs of wear inside at all, then it may be worth getting the base model beam and swapping bars.

False economy reusing or using worn shafts in my opinion.

try copy and paste this into the search bar

+beam* +diff* +base*

Rolando

ahh cool thanks. went and got it this afternoon and stripped it down and everything inside is like new. just going to have to change the stub axles now. thanks again

matthewm

If you still have the beam apart search for phosphor bronze bushes threads - makes interesting reading and may be of interest to you.