• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
craig_007

Gti6 Brakes Or Standard 1900 Set Up

craig_007

I've currently got GTi6 brakes on my Mi 205 but there in need of new discs and pads,I have read through a few posts and the general opinion seems to be that the standard set up is more than capable with good pads.

I've also read that these GTI6 brakes are really heavy compared with the standard setup,Is it worth while returning back to standard ? How much heavier are they ?

Will there be any difference to braking ability if I do ?

Also if I do run the standard 1900 setup,Will I manage to squeeze a set of 1600gti wheels on ?

davidc
I've currently got GTi6 brakes on my Mi 205 but there in need of new discs and pads,I have read through a few posts and the general opinion seems to be that the standard set up is more than capable with good pads.

I've also read that these GTI6 brakes are really heavy compared with the standard setup,Is it worth while returning back to standard ? How much heavier are they ?

Will there be any difference to braking ability if I do ?

Also if I do run the standard 1900 setup,Will I manage to squeeze a set of 1600gti wheels on ?

I was thinking along the same lines as yourself, the brakes on our std 1.9 GTi are needing replaced & I thought about using the GTi6 brakes but everyone said that they are heavy & the std 1.9 GTi brakes are actually good enough. We're sticking with the std set up but just making sure everything is either new or in good condition (i.e. new calipers, hoses, discs & pads all round & new fluid).

Hope this helps !

Cheers,

David

Tom Fenton

If you use the car for trackdays I'd say stick with the GTI6 brakes. For a road car the standard brakes are adequate.

craig_007

Cheers guys,

The car is a track car only.

I did quite like the idea of the 14" wheels though.

davidc
If you use the car for trackdays I'd say stick with the GTI6 brakes. For a road car the standard brakes are adequate.

Is the extra braking power of the GTi6 brakes worth the extra weight the car will carry, especially for a track car ???

Cheers,

David

craig_007

Yep thats a fair point.

I'm still undecided !!!!

Batfink

Well standard pads will be no good for constant track use unless you have had your car on a good diet.

You can certainly get performance pads that will cope with anything you throw at them. The trick is finding the balance between that and the heat capacity of the smallest discs you can get away with.

The way you drive will often determine how effective your braking system is so it may be one of those cases where you just have to try it out.

Kev

Edited by Batfink

kyepan

Weight wise they are about 7 kgs heavier than a standard 1.9 setup. Have a look at the weights sticky thread

craig_007

7KG Really ? Thats a fair amount of weight for no real need going by some of the other posts.

With it being a track car I'm trying to get weight down as much as possible(within reason)

I had toyed with getting C5 wheels but it seems pointless when carrying extra unsprung weight with these calipers,Seems to make sense to drop back to orginal brakes with a good set of pads and then maybe go for C5 wheels or orginal 14" 1600 wheels(which I think I prefer,Keep the car looking orginal externally)

Heading over to the weight thread right now.

Thanks for the heads up.

Craig

mattmalden

Is it possible that you could make things too light? I mean - i do see the benefit of being light, but without any weight over the wheels then surely in theory you'd have no friction and hence no grip.

7kgs may sound a lot, but brakes are for braking wouldn't you want those to be as powerful as possible? Why not make some engine mod's to restore the power/weight ratio?

Just being obtuse really, but it's good to ponder sometimes isn't it?

andyjstone
Is it possible that you could make things too light? I mean - i do see the benefit of being light, but without any weight over the wheels then surely in theory you'd have no friction and hence no grip.

Surely this isn't a benefit as you have the whole weight of the car over the wheel to keep it on the road, maybe if you're going off road it might help.

I run GTI6 calipers with a 406 M/C for track only use and I find it much better than the standard set-up, although I must admit that when I put them on I was amazed at how heavy they are.

I've got my eye on some 4 pot light weight calipers, but they ain't cheap.

locosaki

My 205 has standard brakes and I think they are pretty poor,When I say standard though I do mean cheapo pads etc.

I would imagine a decent set of pads would help my stopping ability but I had considered buying a GTI6 setup,It makes sense that bigger discs,bigger caliper/pistons and larger pad area are going to help stop you better.All in my opinion of course.

GTI6 brakes are 7KG heavier,Is that per side ?

mattmalden

The coal from the yard comes in 25kilo sacks - approx 100 weight for any old timers!

Not that I goto the track with a bag of coal in the boot, but I do drive quite spiritedly - do i notice any difference? Personally not. It's less than 1% of the standard cars weight - a full tank of fuel must make a bigger difference.

I'd go for the larger dia disks, increase the heat disipation and half fill the tank myself. It's good to be able to stop and as mentioned before - some (and I agree) find the std brakes on the limit of accepatbility when used hard.

having said that - lightweight four pots!!! :) If only they weren't worth more than my car I'd go for those.

kilauea

Weight in the boot is completely different to unsprung weight.

mattmalden
Weight in the boot is completely different to unsprung weight.

not with regard to braking performance... Is it?

kilauea
not with regard to braking performance... Is it?

No, but you will feel it in every other way. So I would always go lighter if it's possible for a similar performance.