• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
joe1joe

309 Driveshafts And Subframe Welding

Cameron

Did you also grind the paint off?

Yeah it's definitely worth getting the thing dipped first, then you don't have to worry about oil or paint and you actually get strong welds.

joe1joe

yeh scraped the paint off, but when i started to weld oil came threw the joints, still have very neat welds tho :lol: cant compare it against anything tho as i have base model subframe on the car at the momment, hopefully it might make a diffrence!!

joe1joe

well i thought i would follow up and postt a pic, the first pic was the subframe all seam welded and painted and ready to go......... untill i tried to fit it an realised the braket for the gear linkages is wrong!! as my car is an xs ;)

PICT0002.jpg

so out come the grinder andw welder then more paint!

PICT0004.jpg

now it is fited with the the 309 arm (running standerd length driveshafts no problems so far )

the car is soooo much better i have set the tracking to parralle and there seems to be less of the horble understeer which is what i have been after, it seems now to lean more towards oversteer but its seems very gradual and controlable, may be diifrent on the fast corners on the track ??? :lol:

well the question i have is that it feels realy realy good but i dont have the anti-roll bar fitted, and it seems to have less "wheel spin" on exit of corners along with none of that horble understeer, compared to the standerd xs tracktion controll arm setup without the 309 camber. i just wonderd what it will be like conecting the anti roll bar up..... but there does seem to be slight more roll at the front tho?????? which may notice more on the track?

Edited by joe1joe

welshpug

so at the moment you have no front ARB but a skinny rear ARB?

I'd get a larger rear ARB before connecting the front one as just fitting the front ARB alone will induce more understeer :lol:

joe1joe

nope on the back i have a 309 beam bilstein dampers, solid mounts :)