• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  

Caliper Piston Seals

Just changed my brake fluid to 5.1 - normal Halfords stuff, but now it seems that the piston seals are leaking. Not a lot, but enough to be noticable when looking underneath the car. Could this be because of the new fluid? Or is it more likely that they've been doing this for a while? If the latter, then it can't be very bad, as the resevoir level has never dropped.

The seals are only about 18 months old - I refurbished both calipers (1.9 girlings) with a kit from Big Red.

What are people's thoughts? As I say, I've not noticed them leaking before, but have to say, I've not really been looking as they've seemed fine ever since I refurbished them.

Also, if I am to replace the seals again, any recommended places to get these from?

Thanks

Pete

Anybody used these from Pug?

From servicebox: SET BRAKEPISTON - 0000442756. Looks like just the piston seals/dust cover for £15 each caliper. Wondering whether these would be better quality than the Bigred ones and may last a bit longer?

MerlinGTI

A load of my big red slide pin gaters are already shagged and the brakes havent been used yet!

I've also been warned off 5.1 (road use), but I cant remember why. Im pretty sure its thin as water, maybe thats the problem? Bit like running 5w30 fully syn in a 150k 8v :angry: leaky leaky

Anyone else ever had problems with Dot 5.1 being too thin?! Arrgh! I don't want to have to bleed the entire system again!